inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellis

i have  2007 monaco cayman    i would like to know  if i should keep my inverter in the on position or  not ,, it has been off ,, and not sure if it should be on and what is the main reason for it..

Unless you are using it, you will likely want to turn it off, because when not operating, inverters can and do draw some current from the batteries.  If you have a remote display/switch and if you plan on not using the inverter at all for a while, you should turn the inverter off with the actual switch on the inverter, otherwise the inverter will still draw some power, not as much, but some to charge the capacitors.  Leaving the inverter on all the time will not hurt it, it will just draw down battery power which you should be aware of.  Also if you are using shore or generator power, you will likely want to turn it off.

You can leave it on 24/7 - many do, but there is no harm in turning it off if you don't want it to ever do any inverting (using battery 12v to produce 120vac to power outlets, tv, etc).

If your coach is plugged to shore power or has the genset running, it won't invert from battery anyway. It stays in standby mode as long as some other 120vac power is available. If external power was lost for any reason, the inverter can instantly start supply 120v power IF it was on at the time. If you have it turned off, it cannot start producing power until you switch it on again.  If you are using the RV, you probably want the automatic and instant power back-up, but if it is in storage you may not want it to do so. It would run the batteries down rather quickly and you would not be aware becasue you weren't there to observe.

Some people prefer to leave it off except when they know it is needed, while others just leave it in standby.

Inverter, leave it on or turn it off??

Earlier answers are good.  However consider the following:

First, assuming you are on shore power:  No problem leave it on unless you have an electric space heater on.  If you have a space heater on and you loose shore power you probably will NOT notice the shore power went off.  After 1-5 hours of powering the heater your batteries will be dead.

If you are dry camping or boondocking, turn the inverter off unless you are needing it to power some 120V AC devices.  TV, microwave, etc.  A 2000 watt inverter will consume 1 to 1.5 amps (24-36 amp hours of battery in 24 hours) just being on.  More if your microwave and TV keep alive circuits use quite a bit of power. 

Back
Top Bottom