EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Freightliner XC Chassis Air Filter and Air Dryer  (Read 378 times)

Bungapads

Freightliner XC Chassis Air Filter and Air Dryer
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
Does any body know if I have to change the Air Dryer at the same time I Change the Air Filter on a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA with a Freightliner XC Chassis?

Also, has anyone done this successfully? If so, any advice would be very helpful.

Are any special tools needed?

Thanks

Ron

Ranger smith

• ---
Re: Freightliner XC Chassis Air Filter and Air Dryer
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
Has it ever been done??  How many miles on it??

Those get pretty cruddy if not changed. I had a Winnebago that I purchased used and when I took it out it had all oil and water like sludge from poor maintenance.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »
The Cummins manual calls for changing the dryer cartridge every two years. The air filter when the filter monitor gets to a certain reading which I don't recall right now.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »
I had to change my whole blower at $1800.00. I though that it had been changed 3 years ago. However, it had been 5 years. I will be sure to change mine ever 2-3 years now.
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
 There is a huge difference between a "blower" and a turbocharger,,Which do you have//>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
The air filter is specific to the chassis - it is part of the chassis equipment, not the engine. Cummins specifies a minimum size (sq inches) and air flow, but the actual filter and housing is determined by the chassis builder.   FCCC is not very creative about chassis model names either - almost all their chassis are an XC + some suffix, e.g. XC-R, XC-S, XC-L, XC-M etc.  Each has a different air intake design and filter requirements, so make sure you have the data for your specific chassis model.  In many XC chassis, the air filter is a can rather than a cartridge in a housing, and the entire unit is replaced.

Are you perhaps asking about the charge air cooler (CAC)?  I don't know of any "air dryer" in the engine air intake. The only air dryer is part of the chassis air system, at the output of the air compressor. FCCC (Freightliner Custom) uses a Haldex PurEst dryer.  It's a desiccant cartridge and needs replacement roughly every 3 years in a motorhome.   Changing it is an entirely separate procedure from the engine air filter.

Get a maintenance manual for your chassis from the FCCC website:

https://secure.freightliner.com/newbulletins/techmanuals/DM-MM_Web/English/fccc/Maintenance%20Manuals/recreational%20vehicle%20chassis%20maintenance%20manual.pdf

Additional maintenance & service tips can be found at:
https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/downloads/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:07:25 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »
Gary, they are talking about the Air Brake dryer and filter. I currently have mine by-passed. Mine has been replaced twice under warranty. The initial problem came after a very heavy rain which clogged the filter. I have yet to get one year of service out of the dryer here in So. Florida.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
Gary, they are talking about the Air Brake dryer and filter. I currently have mine by-passed. Mine has been replaced twice under warranty. The initial problem came after a very heavy rain which clogged the filter. I have yet to get one year of service out of the dryer here in So. Florida.

You live in Florida and you bypassed the air dryer?  That seems like a recipe for disaster.  The air dryer keeps water vapor out of your storage tanks, air suspension, and most importantly brakes.  Rust in your brake actuators is kind of a bad thing.

I think the XC manual states that in humid climates the desiccant filter will require replacement more often.  Given the humidity in FL I would almost expect it to last no more than a year.  Maybe less.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
Gary, they are talking about the Air Brake dryer and filter.

You may be right, but I never thought of them as separate steps. A "coalescent filter" is part of the Bendix AD9 air dryer and an integral part of the dryer change procedure.  The Haldex, however,  uses a single cartridge. There is no separate filter in the Haldex PURest system.

If he has the Bendix AD9 system, then the dryer change procedure details how both the coalescing filter and desiccant cartridge are inserted in the housing. The Freightliner RV Chassis Maintenance manual linked in my previous message details the change procedures for both Bendix and Haldex.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:29:39 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
You live in Florida and you bypassed the air dryer?  That seems like a recipe for disaster.  The air dryer keeps water vapor out of your storage tanks, air suspension, and most importantly brakes.  Rust in your brake actuators is kind of a bad thing.

I think the XC manual states that in humid climates the desiccant filter will require replacement more often.  Given the humidity in FL I would almost expect it to last no more than a year.  Maybe less.

Actually, I just do what I used to do before dryers and manually pull the lanyards to drain the tanks. I do have a new dryer on order to be replaced when I receive it. By passing it just takes it back to an old system. That was the cure recommended by Freightliner to get us home from Cheyenne, Wy when it quit and left us stuck with no parts near us.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Hosted by Over The Network