Freightliner XC Chassis Air Filter and Air Dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bungapads

Does any body know if I have to change the Air Dryer at the same time I Change the Air Filter on a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA with a Freightliner XC Chassis?

Also, has anyone done this successfully? If so, any advice would be very helpful.

Are any special tools needed?

Thanks

Ron

Has it ever been done??  How many miles on it??

Those get pretty cruddy if not changed. I had a Winnebago that I purchased used and when I took it out it had all oil and water like sludge from poor maintenance.

The Cummins manual calls for changing the dryer cartridge every two years. The air filter when the filter monitor gets to a certain reading which I don't recall right now.

I had to change my whole blower at $1800.00. I though that it had been changed 3 years ago. However, it had been 5 years. I will be sure to change mine ever 2-3 years now.

The air filter is specific to the chassis - it is part of the chassis equipment, not the engine. Cummins specifies a minimum size (sq inches) and air flow, but the actual filter and housing is determined by the chassis builder.  FCCC is not very creative about chassis model names either - almost all their chassis are an XC + some suffix, e.g. XC-R, XC-S, XC-L, XC-M etc.  Each has a different air intake design and filter requirements, so make sure you have the data for your specific chassis model.  In many XC chassis, the air filter is a can rather than a cartridge in a housing, and the entire unit is replaced.

Are you perhaps asking about the charge air cooler (CAC)?  I don't know of any "air dryer" in the engine air intake. The only air dryer is part of the chassis air system, at the output of the air compressor. FCCC (Freightliner Custom) uses a Haldex PurEst dryer.  It's a desiccant cartridge and needs replacement roughly every 3 years in a motorhome.  Changing it is an entirely separate procedure from the engine air filter.

Get a maintenance manual for your chassis from the FCCC website:

https://secure.freightliner.com/newbulletins/techmanuals/DM-MM_Web/English/fccc/Maintenance%20Manuals/recreational%20vehicle%20chassis%20maintenance%20manual.pdf

Additional maintenance & service tips can be found at:
https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/downloads/

Gary, they are talking about the Air Brake dryer and filter. I currently have mine by-passed. Mine has been replaced twice under warranty. The initial problem came after a very heavy rain which clogged the filter. I have yet to get one year of service out of the dryer here in So. Florida.

gwcowgill said:
Gary, they are talking about the Air Brake dryer and filter. I currently have mine by-passed. Mine has been replaced twice under warranty. The initial problem came after a very heavy rain which clogged the filter. I have yet to get one year of service out of the dryer here in So. Florida.

You live in Florida and you bypassed the air dryer?  That seems like a recipe for disaster.  The air dryer keeps water vapor out of your storage tanks, air suspension, and most importantly brakes.  Rust in your brake actuators is kind of a bad thing.

I think the XC manual states that in humid climates the desiccant filter will require replacement more often.  Given the humidity in FL I would almost expect it to last no more than a year.  Maybe less.

Gary, they are talking about the Air Brake dryer and filter.

You may be right, but I never thought of them as separate steps. A "coalescent filter" is part of the Bendix AD9 air dryer and an integral part of the dryer change procedure.  The Haldex, however,  uses a single cartridge. There is no separate filter in the Haldex PURest system.

If he has the Bendix AD9 system, then the dryer change procedure details how both the coalescing filter and desiccant cartridge are inserted in the housing. The Freightliner RV Chassis Maintenance manual linked in my previous message details the change procedures for both Bendix and Haldex.

8Muddypaws said:
You live in Florida and you bypassed the air dryer?  That seems like a recipe for disaster.  The air dryer keeps water vapor out of your storage tanks, air suspension, and most importantly brakes.  Rust in your brake actuators is kind of a bad thing.

I think the XC manual states that in humid climates the desiccant filter will require replacement more often.  Given the humidity in FL I would almost expect it to last no more than a year.  Maybe less.

Actually, I just do what I used to do before dryers and manually pull the lanyards to drain the tanks. I do have a new dryer on order to be replaced when I receive it. By passing it just takes it back to an old system. That was the cure recommended by Freightliner to get us home from Cheyenne, Wy when it quit and left us stuck with no parts near us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom