CG reservations traveling I-20 west bound from NC to AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

rockin rockwood

Just going to be staying overnight along the trip. Is it necessary to make reservations at the campgrounds along the way, or is it safe to assume I can wing it. Not really interested in staying at wal marts or truck stops. Also, this will be the week before Christmas!

Week before Christmas will see a lot of travelers.
You may want to call a few of your prospective stops and see how full they are with reservations, at least.
Though, this late in the game, I'd just take my chances. The worse that can happen is that you have to park in a rest area or truckstop to catch some winks.

I've pretty much got it mapped out along with reservations. Figured I better not take any chances. Traveling about 6 hours per day. Should be an easy trip.

We're on I 10 just coming off I 20 right now, not made any advance calls except to get directions...  A lot of GPS's are off. I pre trip planned about 6 to 7 hours of actual drive time an another 1 1/2 for fuel stops, potty brakes for the DW and our pup. about every 2 hours. I then looked on line for CG's.  List a few in the area that you think you want to stop.  Check out their website(s) and on google maps.  Check the Satellite view, looking how close you'll be to train tracks, main roads. also so sites offer reviews.  Prices  have been $27 to $38.50.   
We recommend Coffee Creek CG (Mineral Springs area) west of Fort Worth on US 281.  It's about 1/2 north of the I20.  Nice CG. 
East of Dallas/Fort Worth we've stayed in the state parks which have a lot less road noise.  Right now we're in Van Horn, about 6 hour drive time from  Coffee Creek ...a lot of road noise and the occasional train. 
Next stop Tucson, again around a 6 hour drive time. 

Also a word of warning.  west of Pecos TX.on I 10 fuel stops are few on so top off in Van Horn. That should get you to El Paso.
Plan on using the furnace and/or electric heater.  Seen it drop into the teens in NM overnight  low 30's in Texas.

In the past we've stopped in Demmings NM. when we stayed in Abilene.  We travel this route for the past 7 years, both just after Thanksgiving and between Christmas and the New Year.    We may had called ahead the day we're planning on stopping to check and get directions but that is it.

Wi1dBi11

Do NOT stay at Western Skys RV park just north of El Paso in Vado, New Mexico. 

Pedestal circuit breakers are bypassed on at least six of the ones I tested. Also they have the worst house fly problem I've ever seen anywhere in the country.

Also a word of warning.  west of Pecos TX.on I 10 fuel stops are few on so top off in Van Horn. That should get you to El Paso.

Thanks for the reminder. Being born and raised in NJ, we don't think about the lack of fuel stops as we have gas stations every 1/4 mile, along with WAWA for coffee!!

For overnight stays when traveling we just call a few hours prior to stopping and see if they have spaces, has always worked for us.  Dick nvrver

rockin rockwood said:
I've pretty much got it mapped out along with reservations. Figured I better not take any chances. Traveling about 6 hours per day. Should be an easy trip.
  I plan on doing that similar trip in January.. I will be leaving from north of Atlanta and plan on the I 20 route to Arizona... If possible can you tell me what campgrounds you have researched?  Also if you could post your trip notes for recommendations after the trip.  This would be greatly appreciated... You could PM me with information

Back
Top Bottom