towable toads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazymary99

need to find a good towable used car but every one I check on has "do not tow 4 wheels down" when I look at the owners manual...who is towing a reasonably priced car that is maybe 2012 to 2015 ?  I can't afford too expensive a car

I have been having the same problem the towing guides on remco or others are for if i have this vehicle can i tow it? I'm looking for a list of what can be towed and pick what I like. I did find some of that from Ford in the towing guide(page 13 every year) they have a list of products and conditions.

It's kind of hard to build a list. Partly depends on what the towing cap of your MH is.
Mine has a 3500 lb limit.
Some of the vehicles I narrowed down to in my search met the weight limit, and were towable:
most cars with manual transmissions,
These can usually be towed with automatics, but be sure to check manuals.
Saturn Vue, and the GMC/Chevy eqivalent.
Subaru Forester
PT Cruiser
Jeep Liberty
Chevy Cavalier and Malabu
several other Subaru and Jeep models.

We ended up with a Saturn Vue that already had the towing equipment. It has worked out great.

Here is a site where someone did a lot of the preliminary homework, already. Worth a browse.
http://rvtrippin.com/list-flat-tow-vehicles/

Finding the right Toad is not a simple task. Good luck

Motorhome magazine publishes a Dingy towing guide that lists all the 4 wheel towables by year. They go back well into the '90s, and are available if you Google "Dingy towing guide".

I am picking up my , New to me, jeep rubicon on saturday... been looking on car guru for a month ... there are a lot of under 10,000 dollar Jeeps for sale.. most at that price have upwards of 100k miles or more but if you are just towing and using for short trips at your destinations one could work for you...just bear in mind the cost of a vehicle doesn't include the tow bar and base plate and aux braking system if you do that... all added cost and quite substantial..as i'm finding out... but what the hell. things could be worse... I could have bought a boat.......lol

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php 

lazymary99.....Remco will tell you what to do to make a car 4 down towable .  Hope you are not too lazy to look it up.........

check remco first, always.  The annual motorhome dinghy guide is NOT accurate as they do not update the lists of previous years.  Just ask Ford Escape owners who blew out their transmissions.

check remco first, always.  The annual motorhome dinghy guide is NOT accurate as they do not update the lists of previous years.  Just ask Ford Escape owners who blew out their transmissions.

Those "dinghy lists" are just shopping guides - you should always verify towability for the specific vehicle before buying it as a toad.  Preferably in the owner manual (most all are available online) or through a manufacturers official representative. Even dealer personnel are often wrong about 4-down towing, whether they say Yes or NO.  They simply aren't trained on that aspect of vehicle care.

However, the car manufacturers don't always update to correct their previous mistakes either.  Sometimes you have to find a Service Bulletin to get the update for a prior year.

Checking multiple sources is a good idea. If you find conflicting info, chase down the correct answer.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Those "dinghy lists" are just shopping guides - you should always verify towability for the specific vehicle before buying it as a toad.  Preferably in the owner manual (most all are available online) or through a manufacturers official representative. Even dealer personnel are often wrong about 4-down towing, whether they say Yes or NO.  They simply aren't trained on that aspect of vehicle care.

However, the car manufacturers don't always update to correct their previous mistakes either.  Sometimes you have to find a Service Bulletin to get the update for a prior year.

Checking multiple sources is a good idea. If you find conflicting info, chase down the correct answer.

Ford originally stated the automatic transmissions in 2009-2012 were flat towable in their owner's manuals.  Completely wrong and later Ford issued "bulletins" to revise.  And now they say, no way to flat tow even with adding the remco pump systems.  Cost ford a ton of money as well as RV owners who blew out the trannies...

Towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla S manual transmission.  Cost was less than $8K for only 69K miles.  Excellent shape, easy tow, large trunk and can easily carry 4 people.  Rather gutless going up mountains so we just get a run for it but it is a good tow car for us.  Fantastic heater, air conditioning pretty good.  Happy with our decision.

lazymary99 said:
need to find a good towable used car but every one I check on has "do not tow 4 wheels down" when I look at the owners manual...who is towing a reasonably priced car that is maybe 2012 to 2015 ?  I can't afford too expensive a car

Google "Motorhome toads" and you will find all the info you need.  Previous years are included.  As mentioned before, check the specific product manual for the vehicle to confirm prior to purchase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom