Seeking Towing/hookup lesson in DC/MD/VA area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkaufman

Hi All,

Family & I are planning on buying a tow vehicle and fifth wheel for a year long excursion but neither my husband or I have every towed. We are looking for someone in the Virginia, Maryland, DC area who would be willing to take us out in their truck/trailer and show us the ropes (towing basics, parking, hook ups, etc) - any interest? We would be happy to pay, of course.

Thanks in advance!
Kate

Go to any truck driving school a semi or tractor trailer hook up and drivibg is the same as a 5th wheel you dont need the license per say or the  air brake ticket but the rest is the same. most will charge by the hour for driving lessons

I'd recommend calling around to some large dealerships or campgrounds in your area, and see if they are familiar with RV driving schools / clinics.  Those resources do exist, it's just a matter of finding them wherever you are.

Have you ever used an RV at all?  If not I'd suggest renting one for a week or so.

How did you decide you wanted a fifth wheel? 

I'd talk to the places where you are shopping for an RV and I suspect they would be more than happy to show you how to hook it up. It is relatively simple once you've done it.

You really need to research pickup trucks before you buy anything.

Check for a local chapter of a Good Sam club or other camping club in your area, attend a meeting and meet some fellow RVers.  You may find someone who would be glad to help you and show off their RV.  Winnebago now has plants that make trailers and I'm sure there is a WIT chapter in your area.  Dick nvrver
www.winnebagoind.com & www.goodsamclub.com

Where are you located (I know it says D.C./MD/VA area)? I can show you how to hook up, back up, etc. all we need is a big parking lot. And of course a truck and trailer. It seems it will be awhile before you actually purchase something. If you haven't found a training venue by the time you purchase let me know and we'll see if we can work something out. I am in Dover, DE.

Oldgator73 said:
Where are you located (I know it says D.C./MD/VA area)? I can show you how to hook up, back up, etc. all we need is a big parking lot. And of course a truck and trailer. It seems it will be awhile before you actually purchase something. If you haven't found a training venue by the time you purchase let me know and we'll see if we can work something out. I am in Dover, DE.

Hi- we have finally bought a to vehicle (2016 Ram 2500HD crew cab with an 8ft bed) and are looking to get a hitch installed this week. Haven't bought a fifth wheel yet and are still looking for help learning the ropes (driving, hooking up to hitch, Etc) - are you still available/interested?

Back
Top Bottom