insulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macster1

Hi Guys

New here, I have a question,planning to semi retire into a 40"Diesel pusher,I currently live 40 Miles north of Toronto, Canada and plan on staying in the area for 9-10 months of the year and chase the sun south during winter.
  Question is the extra 2-3 months temperatures dip at night below freezing and the wife insists on staying here for christmas.How much is freezing  going to be an issue and if it is how do I fix it?

Park it in a garage where even a little insulation makes a considerable difference.>>>Dan ( I have an 1800 SF steel garage with 4 inch insulation ceiling and walls,, makes a 15 degree difference inside to outside winter and summer).>>>Dan

Main concerns would be water lines and propane refills. Many motorhomes have heat going to the water pump and lines inside. Ours had a small electric  heater that would come on at 32 degrees F. Where you are parking your motorhome can a propane truck have access for refilling your tank? This is assuming you will be living in your coach. We wintered in Arizona and it got cold enough many evenings that the propane furnace had to be used or an electric heater turned on. Some things to think about.

Bill

I'm in NJ right now. It hasn't gotten real cold yet, but I can only imagine where you are it's going to be ridiculously cold. What we have done here is use heat tape on the water hose with pipe insulation over that. Most everyone who will be here in January and February have skirts around th perimeter and have flood lights burning 24/7 under the rigs.

Utclmjmpr said:
Park it in a garage where even a little insulation makes a considerable difference.>>>Dan ( I have an 1800 SF steel garage with 4 inch insulation ceiling and walls,, makes a 15 degree difference inside to outside winter and summer).>>>Dan

House and garage will be gone ,I'll be living in the coach,so parking in a garage won't be possible

rockin rockwood said:
I'm in NJ right now. It hasn't gotten real cold yet, but I can only imagine where you are it's going to be ridiculously cold. What we have done here is use heat tape on the water hose with pipe insulation over that. Most everyone who will be here in January and February have skirts around th perimeter and have flood lights burning 24/7 under the rigs.

the months that are real cold I'll be down south after christmas but I want to be comfortable

It would not be fun.  They are not made for those temps.

macster1 said:
Hi Guys

New here, I have a question,planning to semi retire into a 40"Diesel pusher,I currently live 40 Miles north of Toronto, Canada and plan on staying in the area for 9-10 months of the year and chase the sun south during winter.
  Question is the extra 2-3 months temperatures dip at night below freezing and the wife insists on staying here for christmas.How much is freezing  going to be an issue and if it is how do I fix it?

It makes a difference on the MH you have.  For example, my Newmar Dutch star is good to well below zero F, I had no problem at below -30F, where a friends Monaco freezes in the water bay about Zero F.  I am NOT saying it was an enjoyable time at the low temperature but that it is survivable for a short time of a day or so.  There are also steps that we took to do this but not a lot of them and nothing that cost more than a few dollars.  I can go into detail if you desire.

Mac ster I have the same concerns , as I too will soon be doing the same for different reasons. I have done a ton of research thru here and on the marvelous you tube as well ,and I have to agree it depends on the motor home unfortunately I think its like everything else you get what ya pay for. so far the American Coach boast the most insulation that I can find, I'm sure if there's something better out there some one here will let us know. Please report back your experience!

We live in northern Washington state near Canadian border, so are familiar with below freezing. Keep furnace running continuously as most diesel pushers have heated storage below floors. Also fill water tank then use water pump in coach. Do not forget to disconnect water hose at faucet and let drain. When tank get low you can reconnect fill then disconnect again. Slides are easy place for heat loss, if you don't need any or all of them keep closed.

Back
Top Bottom