Love's day at the truck stop.. Or not.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

Well it was a lovely day for me. But I had to make a run out of the park to order some stuff made for next Wed.  Due to utility work on the primary road I took a "Senic" route (only 2 more miles) returning via the Love's truck stop a mile away and stopped into Arby's for a Roast Beef.

On the way out I stopped to chat with a poor RVer who converted his 5th Wheel to a Gooseneck, only when he did a panic stop.... Tore the pin box all to .. Scrap metal.. Bent and  cracked he's down till a new part comes in and he rebuilds the hitch...

As we are chatting.. A gent is refueling his tow vehicle pulling a 38 Foot Ceader Creek 5er.. Looks like new.. Or rather it did.. He finishes pulls out, turns a few feet too soon and half tears the rear cap off it when he connects with the cement bumper.. OUCH.. Does not stop. Does not inspect, just hits the road.

What can I say.. For me. A lovely day.

As for my RV. (parked and thus nothing bad happend)  First trip here I accidently nicked a tree and took off a slide topper.. Spent less than 30 bucks, it's all back together now save for a few screws.. Re-attaching it was my project of the day.. Sore, Tired, Will do the screwy things later. (Those will be easy just  need to get out the power drill and extension cord and a few driver bits).  Looks good,, IN fact I did a much better job on this re-build than the last one so it looks and works BETTER than it did before the tree.

Fifth wheel to gooseneck.... obviously knowing his workmanship is in question, but it does re-raise the judgement of converting. Many manufacturers will void the frame warranty if done!  Many rv?ers are passionate about staying well within the tow vehicles manufacturer specifications, but tend to ignor a greater potential risk...such as this!  Just Saying!!!

John From Detroit said:
As we are chatting.. A gent is refueling his tow vehicle pulling a 38 Foot Ceader Creek 5er.. Looks like new.. Or rather it did.. He finishes pulls out, turns a few feet too soon and half tears the rear cap off it when he  :'(connects with the cement bumper.. OUCH.. Does not stop. Does not inspect, just hits the road.

He probably didn't even know it happened. I would have loved to see his face when he stopped for the night.

Well I think he knew it happened.  I spent a bit of time thinking about it (nothing better to do) and figured out why it happened.

With a 5th wheel hitch the kingpin extends down what 4-6 inches. SO assuming a 20,000 pound trailer (Just to make math easy that means in a panic stop 10,000 foot pounds of torque max (Likely less)

But extend the king pin down say 2 feet, and it's 40,000 foot pounds of torque.

Same thing with Drop/Rise hitch adapters folks only worse  You go from NO torque  from stopping suddenly to the weight of the towed vehicle times length of drop/rise.

John From Detroit said:
Well I think he knew it happened. 

John, I was referring to the guy who tore out the back of his RV and drove off without stopping.  He may have not felt anything.  :(
Ya, I'm pretty sure the guy with the hitch problem probably knew about it right away.  ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom