WATER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Hi All, so in planning our first big trip with our newly acquired motor home. It is not until March nut during the course of a week we will leave upstate NY, travel about 1,500 miles over the course of a week with about 5 stops including family and other great events.

We have a 2003 Coachmen Leprechan ( 31 foot). First, I am not sure the size of the water tank. my question is it safe, ideal to carry some water in the tank from one destination to the next? I want to be sure I am not putting any undo strain or risk of damage. I would like to have some water for dishes and maybe a quick shower. Some of our stops have water but two will not. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I always carry water most of the time a full tank. I would think your tank would be designed to carry full also. If not there should be a warning label somewhere.
We leave western ny in middle of  Feb

The water tank in our Leprechaun is about 45 gallons. We carry water all the time. Sometimes only about 10 or 15 gallons to get us to a place with water at the site, but we have started out out with a full tank on a trip when we knew we wouldn't have hook-ups for 4 days. Ours is under the bed, so it probably wouldn't stand much chance of freezing as long as we kept the RV warm inside. You can always prop the mattress up while traveling to get heat in there.

Absolutely, fill it up. Before you leave youll want to sanitize the tank and water lines with bleach. I believe it's 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. Fill tank and run it thru the sinks etc till you can smell it. Let it sit there for a couple hours then rinse a couple times. Then fill it up and go

rockin rockwood said:
Absolutely, fill it up. Before you leave youll want to sanitize the tank and water lines with bleach. I believe it's 1/4 oz. per 15 gallons. Fill tank and run it thru the sinks etc till you can smell it. Let it sit there for a couple hours then rinse a couple times. Then fill it up and go

Thanks guys! Awesome!

I have never once thought about how much water was on board before moving my RV. I can't think of anything less important to worry about.

SeilerBird said:
I have never once thought about how much water was on board before moving my RV. I can't think of anything less important to worry about.

I am new to all this. I figured since water weighs 8 lbs per gallon it was a worthy question. Just want to avoid causing self-inflicted problems

ditsjets7 said:
I am new to all this. I figured since water weighs 8 lbs per gallon it was a worthy question. Just want to avoid causing self-inflicted problems
This subject has come up many times here. Some people actually think filling the water tank will reduce your gas mileage, which it will not do. And some people think that driving with an empty tank could be a disaster if you arrived somewhere and there was no water available. Both sound too ridiculous to worry about. But you are not alone, many other people have the same question.

I was on my was to Tuscaloosa, AL when a tornado hit. I was able to get into a campground but there was no power or water for 2 days. I was glad I had 2/3 tank of water and a full fuel tank. Never wrong to be prepared.

You have 36.5 Gal of fresh water.  Absolutely fill it up with water, they are made for that.  Maybe some older camper with rusted out underflooring, then I'd be leary about traveling with full tanks

Here is a link with great info for your RV.  scroll t the bottom, and all the specs you ever need
https://www.fmcmagazine.com/back-issues/134-2007-back-issues/march-2007/2135-coachmen-leprechaun.html

ditsjets7 said:
And now you have answered my next question so thank you. I figured with approximately 360 additional lbs for a 45 gallon tank that would cause the gas mileage to decline. You say no so that's good enough for me.

I don't ever tow but many people here claim that when towing a 3000 pound vehicle behind their class A that their gas mileage only drops about a half a mile per gallon, so a few hundred pounds of water won't make any difference at all. Gas mileage is determined mainly by two factors, the wind resistance and how heavy you right foot is.

Now that you got me thinking about gas mileage that leads me to these questions.
Class C 31 Foot.. Ford Triton V-10. What speed should I travel at to maximize my gas mileage. is 65mph good? is 10 MPG realistic to achieve?
I have no idea because I always travel between 50 and 55 mph. Basically buying an RV and worrying about gas mileage is about as senseless as marrying Dolly Parton and worrying if she is a good cook.

Tires. My tires are two years old. I was told 55 PSI is idea. Question, what, where do I get an extension for the tires to check the pressure and fill them if need be?
I would recommend getting the rig weighed and checking the manufacturers tables for weight rather than the number quoted by a friend or what is on a sticker. That will be more exact and give you the best handling.

Thanks again for helping out this former Veteran pop-up camper and now Rookie at motor Homing!
You are welcome.

We leave upstate NY in January enroute to Florida. We always fill the water tank to the top, and even in -4 below F weather, we haven't had any problems. We have however, arrived at parks along the way to find that their water was either off for the winter or frozen.

Welcome to the forum.

It all depends on how much your unit weights and how much load you will have on the rear axle. Leprechauns do not have a lot of space on rear axle weight limit.  I know, I have one. 

If filling the water tank takes you over the rear axle weight limit, don't do it.  I will put all the things and people doing the trip in the unit, go to a certified scale and weight the unit.  If you are at, too close, or over the rear axle weight limit, only put a few gallons of water.  Otherwise, you are looking for trouble. MHO

As far a sanitizing, the formula is 1/4 CUP for every 15 gallons of water not 1/4 oz.  I fill the tank and run it through all the faucets till I smell bleach. Also fill the water heater and run it through all the hot water faucets. Don't forget the ice maker, the toilet and the outside shower.  Then I usually add another 1/4 cup of bleach and top off the tank again and let it set a couple of days before dumping.

Is it safe? That is what is is for.

How much? Good question

I tanked up in Mi, Now I've been drinking from the same water system all summer. This was on a Monday.. That Thursday I pulled into S.Carolina, did not refill.. Last week, also on Thursday I finally ran out (80 gallons)( that was 3 weeks plus 3 days on 80 gallons.. This week, also on Thursday, I ran out, that's 7 days on one tank.. Yes. I spent a lot of time Sitting in a specific location last weekend.

Have fun figuring out how much water you need.

Wait a minute, Upstate New York, March, water, below freezing????? Possible problem.

As far as carrying 50 gallons of water versus 50 gallons of air, which will possibly be more useful to you at your destination or along the way?  Which is available in an emergency?

Easy answers to simple questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom