WATER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
newfurrows ~~ WHY does water weigh so much more in Canada ???  8.33/# US  or is it just that much more expensive???  Just curious.

maddog348 said:
newfurrows ~~ WHY does water weigh so much more in Canada ???  8.33/# US  or is it just that much more expensive???  Just curious.

Imperial Gallon is based on 10 pounds of water at a certain temperature. The Standard US Gallon is about 80% of that, and based on volume.

1500 miles in 7 days?  That will be about 5 hours on the road 5 o 7 days.  Plus setup.  Makes for short visits and not much time for fun.  Hope the 1500 is round trip.

schoolsout2 said:
1500 miles in 7 days?  That will be about 5 hours on the road 5 o 7 days.  Plus setup.  Makes for short visits and not much time for fun.  Hope the 1500 is round trip.

Round trip yes. Loop.

We start every trip with a full tank of fresh water (100 gallons).  We also dump the holding tanks and refill the fresh water tank every time we leave a campground.  You just never know what may happen along the way.  Having fresh water and empty holding tanks puts you in the position to be flexible along the way if it becomes necessary.    We're in a 44' DP with a tag axle.  The unit has a Net Carrying Capacity of 6,771 lbs.  We're never anywhere near that in terms of load - so the 830 lb weight of a full tank of fresh water hasn't really been much of a concern.  We've never noticed a discernable impact on our mileage. 

Stephen S. said:
Imperial Gallon is based on 10 pounds of water at a certain temperature. The Standard US Gallon is about 80% of that, and based on volume.

Why do you mention the imperial gallon (4.54 liters not weight)? Hasn't Canada been on the metric system for many years? Or haven't you heard about the change yet?

Because some of us 'old farts' still think of in terms or Imperial Gallons (160 liquid oz. ) when comparing to the the US gallon (128 oz) and miles instead of Kilometers when traveling in the USA. We are "flexible" heh heh.... 8)

maddog348 said:

Canadian water comes from glacier ice and everyone knows that ice weighs more that liquid water. anyone that has been hit with a snowball vs a glass of water can testify to that!!  Just kidding but I needed a laugh even if I am laughing by myself

I fill my water tanks before leaving the house mainly because I hate the taste of water in the few campgrounds I have been to. besides it is good the have a cup of coffee on the road or while waiting on I-95 traffic to clear.

about as senseless as marrying Dolly Parton and worrying if she is a good cook.

[/quote]

You are dating yourself a little Seilerbird.  She is 71 now so actually I would be interested in her club sandwich.  ;) ;)

This has been great information for this newbie...so thank you all for the information. I live in Oklahoma but will be leaving for NJ next week. Temps are expected to be pretty cold and I was concerned about water lines and freezing while running down the road. Is the ambient heat in the unit enough to keep the water lines fluid? Anything else I may need to consider? This will be my first long distance trip and my first trip in cold/winter weather.  Any other advice anyone can offer about traveling in the cold/snow in a class C would be appreciated!

I'm in Galloway NJ now. Also my first time winter camping. I'm in a class A mh. My water supply is attached inside a bay door. I have a 100 watt light bulb running 24/7 for a heat source, and heat tape running along the length of the hose with pipe insulation on top. The first night when it got down in the low 20's, I turned the water off and blew out the lines as a precaution. Since then I noticed that Noone else was doing any prep like that. Since then I haven't done anything other than run the bathroom sink at a trickle with no problems

Thanks for the info. I bought a 50' heated water hose so hopefully I will be good in that department. I was more concerned with driving down the road with water in the tank but that has been addressed. I appreciate this thread and all of the knowledgeable info posted. Thanks again!

HitNtheroad said:
Thanks for the info. I bought a 50' heated water hose so hopefully I will be good in that department. I was more concerned with driving down the road with water in the tank but that has been addressed. I appreciate this thread and all of the knowledgeable info posted. Thanks again!
When it is real cold, fill your fresh water tank disconnect the hose and put it inside and close your black and gray water tanks. I would also drain any water out of the sewer hose so it doesn't freeze into one big icicle. 
I would run the furnace to give you enough heat if it is riley cold. The furnace should blow some heat to the wet area to prevent it from freezing. I also leave the hot water heater on propane for the same reason + I like to have hot water to wash my hands after a pit stop.

With your rig 10mpg might be doable but be happy if it is 8-9.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
When it is real cold, fill your fresh water tank disconnect the hose and put it inside and close your black and gray water tanks. I would also drain any water out of the sewer hose so it doesn't freeze into one big icicle. 
I would run the furnace to give you enough heat if it is riley cold. The furnace should blow some heat to the wet area to prevent it from freezing. I also leave the hot water heater on propane for the same reason + I like to have hot water to wash my hands after a pit stop.

With your rig 10mpg might be doable but be happy if it is 8-9.
Bill

Thanks Bill. Those are some great tips. Just what I was looking for. I appreciate all the information!

Back
Top Bottom