TPMS: It?s not just for pressure any more...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patnsuzanne

We?ve been using the EEZ T515 system on our travel trailer for almost a year now and it has alerted us twice to major problems in that time. Both instances involved sudden high tire temps and both times we were on an interstate highway. Just yesterday (and less than 50 miles on new tires all around, a new rear axle due to damage from the first incident, and inspection of the breaks and bearings by a local trailer business) we were not at all happy to see the right rear tire temp jump up 10 degrees over the others. Fortunately, we were right an an exit and I was able to get us off the road and into an open parking lot. When I got the axle jacked up and wheel off, the hub was too hot to touch, and with gloves on, I was unable to rotate it a full turn in either direction. The brake had hung up and was dragging. Had we not had the sensors, I?m convinced we would have continued on our merry way another 5 or 10 miles until we had a fire.  Obviously, the TPMS payed for itself many time over yesterday and we are really glad we went with a system that monitors tire temps, as well as pressures. As a side note, I hadn?t set the high temp alarm when I installed the system as I didn?t know what to expect. The default setting is 158 degrees but our incidents both occurred at less than 100. I will lower the alarm setting, but it was the sudden change and difference from the other tires that alerted us.

Good catch!  I hope you get reimbursed for the repairs from the folks that provided the fine service. 

If you lower the temperature alarm very much, there will be false alarms on hot days.

Thanks Lynnmor.  I had a couple of interesting chats with the trailer folks yesterday while I was dealing with the brake issue. We?ll be taking it in to see them again just as soon as we get back. I agree the temps will go up and down with the weather, but it?s a very easy procedure to change the alarm setting so it won?t be a problem to adjust for changing seasons. I do wish it had an alarm to alert you to a sudden rise in temp similar to the sudden pressure loss alarm. 

Back
Top Bottom