Chris' knee replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Chris had knee replacement surgery on Nov 14. She has a high tolerance for pain, but the initial post-op pain was far higher than she expected. She persevered with physio and exercises (two steps forward and one back), and yesterday had great feedback at her post-op appointment. She also graduated to a cane while we went shopping.

Today was an even better day, and she's been walking around the house and across the street without her cane. The in-home therapist was so impressed that she decided today was her last session, and Monday Chris starts her external therapy where they'll really push her.

Sounds great except for the unexpected pain. Hope the rest of her recovery is speedy and pain free. Who said this was going to be our golden years? it seems we spend more time at the doctor than we do at home.

She's currently at a low pain level. She's been managing it, and quickly weaned herself off morphine. She has recently been weaning herself off the Norco (narcotic) pain killer, and last evening took Tylenol.

Glad she is feeling better.  Everyone handles differently.  I used a walker for 1 day, a cane for about 2 days.  After a couple days the pain was kinda gone.  Took myself off meds at 21 days.  Good luck and keep doing the home exercises.

Tom,
  Thanks for the updates.
I just got my knee done on the 21st.  They had me walking on it the same day. Started PT the next day.  I didnt really have that much pain then either.  But after being home 2 days, the pain got worse, I had problems keeping food down and then got a 103 degree temperature. 
  So they had me go to the ER and be checked out.  They did a bunch of blood tests, did X-rays and at the very end they did Ultra sound for Blood clots.
  During this time they dumped 2 liters of fluids in me, gave me a liter of Anti-bio tics, some stuff for nausea  and a shot of morphine.  After being there 7 hours, my fever had broke, and they found no infection in the wound or any clots.  Other than severe dehydration, nothing else for sure.
  So the doc changed my pain med from Norco to Oxy. and sent me home.
The next day was much better and I resumed my PT and the pain levels were much much lower. No more nausea either.  So not sure if I had a reaction to the norco, or a reaction coming off the drug in the knee or just a lowlevel Virus..?
  I go to therapy 3 times a week and at home each day 3 times a day..  It is really tough to get it to bend more..  I met the first goal of 75 degrees.  Then Fridays goal of 80 degrees (81).  I think as the swelling goes down, I am getting more and more and hope to start seeing bigger numbers soon..  I only walked with the walker a couple days, then started walking with out anything.  But the Therapist told me to watch that.  It is important to not walk TOO much too soon, but to get the knee to straighten 100% and try to get more bending..
  I put up with pain and limping for too many years, so going thru a few months of this and having a good knee again, should be worth it....

Bob

Sounds like you're on the way to recovery Bob!

not sure if I had a reaction to the norco, or a reaction coming off the drug in the knee or just a lowlevel Virus..?

Chris had a reaction to the iron pills they gave her (nausea and diarrhea). She figured it out and eliminated those pills.

Sounds good !
I had my left one done six years ago.
A year from now she is going to say "I should have done this years ago!"

Jack L

[quote author=JackL]A year from now she is going to say "I should have done this years ago!"[/quote]

She's already there, and looking forward to a hip replacement (opposite side).

Sounds like she's coming along real well.  I think she's smart to get them done.

Betty had her second knee replace in September.  She has an inoperable spine condition and will always have back pain.  Having her knees replaced has greatly improved her back pain because she's able walk normally again.  She has been taking pain meds for several years primarily for her back.  Following her last knee surgery, she took the same pain meds as she was taking before the surgery and it took care of the knee pain as she recovered. 

I had a hip replaced in 2005 to repair a problem that occurred in 1962. After living with a short leg and pain for 43 years, I've been pain free ever since. 

If a surgeon has recommended a replacement, I'd encourage them to have it done.  It can greatly improve quality of life.  If there are doubts that  the replacement is really required, get a second opinion, but don't put it off too long.  When a person isn't walking with the correct posture due to bad knees or hips, they will only go into a downward spiral and the longer they wait, the more difficult it is to recover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom