1991 Bounder Motorhome Compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bounderlife

We just purchased a 1991 Bounder (40', gas with a 460) Motorhome. It was parked and a few items were stolen out of it. I have replaced the stolen batteries. The compressor was stolen and I am trying to figure out the size of a new compressor. The motorhome has a tag axle. Can someone please tell me how to get this motorhome back and running? Thank you.

I need to get the airbags filled. (at least that is what I think)...... I am just learning all this???

Unless you have a setup I'm unfamiliar with, you don't need an air pump to drive your Bounder. Air bags on a gas coach are supplemental suspension devices - they simply assist with load leveling, and they help avoid bottoming out. Diesel coaches have air-ride suspension and air brakes, so the engine-mounted air pump is required just to release the brakes and raise the coach to ride height.

Sorry to hear someone ripped you off, but you should be able to drive your coach just fine until you get the pump replaced.

Kev

The front air bags need to be filled, typically 35-55 psi, but they are supposed to be filled once, manually, and retain that pressure indefinitely. If they don't, the bags are leaky and need to be replaced. Leaky bags are a common problem on older Chevy motorhome chassis but replacements are readily available and owners often DIY the repair.  The front also has coil springs, but at least some air is needed in the front bags.

If your Bounder  had an onboard compressor for the suspension, it may also have rear air bags that are an additional assist for the rear leaf springs. That add-on rear air assist often came with a small compressor to make it easy to adjust the air-assist for load. The suspension is probably ok without it, so that could be a low priority repair.

OP said gas 460. Should be supplemental bags. It does have leaf springs in front, right? Don?t know about tag axle set up though.

I missed the reference to the 460, which would imply a Ford chassis and a leaf spring suspension, making the bags strictly supplemental.  However, he also said its a 40', and that is highly unlikely for a 1991 Bounder.  Bounder didn't have a 40 footer as late as 1999, and even high end models were mostly under 40 ft back in 1991.    Perhaps Bounderlife could clarify his coach and chassis information further.

I had this exact unit, it was either a 92 or 94, can?t recall at this point. Bounder 40Z with tag, Ford.

The bags were for the tag and there was no compressor. Mine had an aftermarket compressor I added for the Brakemaster system and air horns

Attachments

• 4C65C333-F96B-4A2A-A1CA-5F5E8D07B5C5.jpeg
    4C65C333-F96B-4A2A-A1CA-5F5E8D07B5C5.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 21
Gary RV_Wizard said:
I missed the reference to the 460, which would imply a Ford chassis and a leaf spring suspension, making the bags strictly supplemental.  However, he also said its a 40', and that is highly unlikely for a 1991 Bounder.  Bounder didn't have a 40 footer as late as 1999, and even high end models were mostly under 40 ft back in 1991.    Perhaps Bounderlife could clarify his coach and chassis information further.

There were 38 & 40 foot Bounders back in the very early 90s. Some had 2 entrance doors. One for the bed room.

OK, I'll take your word for it.    I couldn't find any reference for an older 40 ft Bounder on the Fleetwood site, though. Even the more upscale gas Fleetwoods like the Pace and Southwind were shorter.

Chassis was a John Deere. Loooong extension, I measured the overhang at 13' - watch that tail swing!! Every single 40 footer I saw that had damage was due to tail swing.

Second entrance door to the bedroom door seemed like a good idea but literally never used it. I loved the floorplan wherein the aisle going aft angled left (coach right) going around the full bath which included a decent sized bathtub, rather than a long aisle  straight down the middle all the way to the bedroom.

The 460 did an amazingly good job considering, but boy was it working hard. There was also a Chevy powered version - I still see the occasional 40 footer in operation; you can tell the Ford version from a distance as it has larger diameter wheels.

Back
Top Bottom