Brake line for 1989 Winnebago Superchief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laserdoc

I had a brake line rust and began to leak and was wondering the best way to replace it. I have a 1989 Winnebago Superchief, 27'.
It was 8" under the connection into the master cylinder. I see 25' copper brake lines for the P30 chassis for sale, has anyone done this or what would be the best way to replace without going to the shop and paying out an arm and a leg.

Never never never use copper for brake lines. They must be steel.

ChasA said:
Never never never use copper for brake lines. They must be steel.

Laserdoc must be referring to copper/nickel brake lines. DOT approved, will not rust and as strong as steel.  You are right pure copper is illegal as well as an accident waiting to happen. I dont think Canada has approved them yet with the exception of Nova Scotia.

Amazon sells it in a 25' roll so you could make your own with the proper flaring tool.

Unless you are proficient in making a double flare, forget it and have it done. Your life and others may depend on it. Most auto parts stores sell ready made brake lines in different lengths, and couplers.  That's the safest way if you try and do it yourself. I have a decent double flaring tool, but can only make acceptable double flares about 50% of the time. I've just forgot about making my own anymore, and buy store bought lines.

The idea of the copper alloy brake lines is easy bending with fingers. I recommend not using them.

Replace the lines with straight steel pre flared lines readily available from all auto parts stores.

Measure the length needed, match the fittings and go to town. You can buy an ok tubing bender for $20.

It is ok to do the new lines in sections using unions to join the sections. Do not use compression fittings.

Replace failed lines end to end.

Start soaking your bleeder valves, all connection fittings and securing points in your favorite rust penetrator in advance of tackling the task.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom