christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macster1

My Brother in law is difficult to buy a christmas present for but his wife and him have recently purchased a C class RV ,any ideas?? Budget around a hundred buck

If you want to keep them guessing with a big but light weight box, and they don't already have a couple of MaxxAir vent covers...

I know I'd be thrilled to get two of those for my Class C.

The best way to get the right gift is to ask them what they need. Or a $100 gift certificate.

If he doesn't already have one, a GPS would be a nice gift, and something he'd get a lot of use out of. You might need to shop around to meet the $100 price point, but I bought a Garmin with lifetime map updates on sale for $99.

Tom said:
If he doesn't already have one, a GPS would be a nice gift, and something he'd get a lot of use out of. You might need to shop around to meet the $100 price point, but I bought a Garmin with lifetime map updates on sale for $99.

Where and when did you buy the Garmin. Do you remember the model?  Thanks, Santa is making her (oops) his list.

[quote author=MN Blue Skies]Where and when did you buy the Garmin. Do you remember the model?[/quote]

It was at Best Buy a few years ago; Chris and our daughter were making a trip to the MidWest and, although they would primarily be driving interstates, I thought a GPS was a must. IIRC it was just before Christmas, and I popped out to the store the evening before they left, and I lucked out with the sale. We have several other GPS makes/models/sizes, but Chris really prefers this one.

It's a Garmin Nuvi 50LM. I haven't shopped for a GPS since, but I just took a quick look on Amazon and they have a number of models under $100. (Didn't check the lifetime maps.) One thing that Chris really likes is the announcement/display of the names of upcoming streets.

Just a word of caution when purchasing a GPS.....even if it says lifetime maps, it may not....I just tried updating my Garmin (was about 5 years old) and went on line only to find out that certain models (mine was one of those) were no longer being supported by map updating.  Reason being...manufacturer said with new technology always changing, it was not beneficial to keep supporting certain older models....I was really miffed to say the least........

I went through the same thing with a TomTom GPS.

Tom said:
I wen t through the same thing with a TomTom GPS.

Thanks for jogging my memory, Tom.  I just checked and I need to bring the TomTom out of the Jeep in and install a couple of updates.  It used to send me emails when the updates became available, but lately they're either going to the Spam folder or not showing up.

Your family didn't buy that for you as a joke, did they?  Its the kind of thing my wife or kids would do.  My son wanted to know if I could use a Dish Wally receiver.  ::)

I have heard that "Lifetime" promise far too many times.. THey define how long LIfetime is.

Back in the 80's as I recall I was a member of Q-Link,, Well they offered us Commodore users a LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP.... I did not bite,  Only bought an annual. Shortly after my Annual expiered they pulled the plug and changed their name to AOL.. We all knwo the rest.

Just a word of caution when purchasing a GPS.....even if it says lifetime maps, it may not....I just tried updating my Garmin (was about 5 years old) and went on line only to find out that certain models (mine was one of those) were no longer being supported by map updating.

Yeah... the promise is only that updates are free for the life of the product.  It is not a promise that updates will actually be provided, or that the product will be supported for your lifetime. Basically the purchase price just includes a subscription for whatever updates are available. If any.  ???

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Yeah... the promise is only that updates are free for the life of the product.  It is not a promise that updates will actually be provided, or that the product will be supported for your lifetime. Basically the purchase price just includes a subscription for whatever updates are available. If any.  ???

True, true. But even one update (I've gotten several on each unit) is worth it, compared to built-ins to your vehicle, if the lifetime is offered. My 2007 F-150 came with a nice GPS, but Ford wants about $150 for a map update CD. My 2015 Wrangler came with a Garmin GPS built in (less features than an add-on) and they, too, want around $150 for a map update.

But I still get "free" updates for my dezl 560LMT (several years old now), about one per quarter. A year or three back they finally quite making updates for my Streetpilot 730, though the unit still works fine.

I have a Garmin LMT (forgot model #) and it did specify that if you do not update maps for a 2 year period, the ?lifetime? expires.

Back
Top Bottom