Travelling to South Florida from North Georgia 25 degree overnight temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banjosimpa

Recently purchased a 2013 Winnebago Vista 26HE Class A.  It had been winterized in N. Carolina and is now located in north Georgia.  Wife, cat, and I plan trip to South Florida leaving Dec 8th with two stops in central and south Georgia.

Due to north Georgia mild temps I have un-winterized the unit in preparation for travel.  However, temp predictions a few days before we leave Dec 8th indicate unexpected temps in the mid 20s.  I have read that warm air from the propane furnace circulates around the holding tanks as well as thru the living space.  I plan to keep the unit heated/warm 24/7 the next few days prior to departure south.

Question:  By not re-winterizing is the risk of freezing/ pipe damage a risk I should not take.  Should I re-winterize, travel south to warmer climate and then flush out the RV antifreeze? IE, how effective should I expect furnace air 
to maintain safe temps.  My holding tanks do not have heat pads.                                                                         

Any experiences from cold weather travelers greatly appreciated. 

I would not bother. It generally takes colder temps for longer periods of time before pipes start freezing. I would not bother to hook up to water while camping.

Or if you're really concerned, just blow it out with air, and don't use anti-freeze.

I doubt if much heated air circulates around the tanks.  I'm not familiar with your coach, but typically there is just a duct down below the floor that lets a bit or warm air into the basement area.  It helps, but is not really a major factor.  However, the tanks really aren't much concern in a brief overnight freeze. If you keep the rig heated and the water heater on, the remaining concern is the exposed water lines and tank drains. These come out to the skin and get little heat.  You can pour some antifreeze in the black & gray tanks to eliminate any concern - it doesn't take much and it just dumps out when you empty the tanks later.  The city water inlet and nearby water lines are a potential concern if the temps stay below 39. F for more than about several hours.  Water begins expanding at 39 and continues down to about 30.  The water in the exposed lines gradually chills and expands, increasing the pressure on the tubing and fittings.  The easiest prevention is an incandescent light bulb in the compartment with the fresh water inlet, but they are getting hard to find. An infrared heat lamp works, though.

The risk at 39 F is tiny, but if the overnight will reach the mid-20's, then the plumbing as a whole gets cold-soaked for several hours, maybe as much as 12 hours.

Thanks for all suggestions.  Because of my RV inexperience I decided to assume the worst situation, ie., temps cold enough to cause pipe damage while still located in north Georgia.  I winterized the unit for the initial travel from north Georgia traveling south down to Milledgeville, GA where temps were not threatening.  On first night flushed out system for normal sink and shower use. 

Now back in north Georgia I have re-winterized the unit.  Use of the water pump w/appropriate bypass provides a quick and effective method of winterizing.....and worry free.

BanjoAl
2013 Winnebago Vista 26E

Back
Top Bottom