State inspection needed soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuts_up

Where do you take a 34' motorhome for state inspection in Texas?  Do you take it to your neighborhood Kwiklube?  ???

Texas owners  speak up.  I can't help you, in over 40 years of RVing, I've never had to have one inspected.  Sorry

I have used the local tire shop/lube shop for the inspection.  Not a big deal, they walk out look at the turn signals, break lights etc. and give me a sticker.  I am in a small town so they may be more relaxed here.

Most inspection stations can do motorhomes in TX.  However, not all will inspect diesels, so call first.  Also, avoid the 3 counties where they require an emissions test.  These include El Paso, Dallas-Ft. worth area, and, I believe, Houston.

Ned said:
Most inspection stations can do motorhomes in TX.  However, not all will inspect diesels, so call first.  Also, avoid the 3 counties where they require an emissions test.  These include El Paso, Dallas-Ft. worth area, and, I believe, Houston.

You are correct Ned Houston is the third one.

We have had our inspection done Pecos on a couple occasions and and Livingston on a few occasions.

With as much construction  around San Antonio, I'd think there would be some there with all the diesels around.

Thanks!  I just called the local Kwik Lube and they said $12.50 to inspect our diesel mh.  That has to mean no emissions testing.

Also, avoid the 3 counties where they require an emissions test.  These include El Paso, Dallas-Ft. worth area, and, I believe, Houston

Unfortunately our county began testing in '03.  It really sucks.  It takes a long time and it's expensive.  If your vehicle is registered in a county that requires the testing, then you are required to do it, and you are supposed to carry your test results in your vehicle.  It's not just the big counties anymore either.  But the previous owner of our mh told us when we bought it that they don't do emissions testing on this mh.  I don't know if it's because it's diesel, or the size, or a combination.  When I called I didn't tell them it is a 1993, so age isn't an issue.  But sure enough, when I called they said a diesel mh would be $12.50.  Of course there are age exemptions for emissions testing, but I think it's 25 years and older.  Our 1978 MGB doesn't have to be tested.  It just gets a once-over and they slap a sticker on it. 

These are the counties that require emissions testing now.  Houston is in Harris county, which is listed.  Houston County does not require the testing (yet). 

Motor Vehicle Emissions Testing in Texas

Enhanced vehicle emissions testing was implemented in affected areas in Texas to improve air quality. Testing began in Dallas, Tarrant, Harris, Collin, Denton counties on May 1, 2002 and began May 1, 2003 in Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, and Rockwall counties. Vehicle emissions testing continues in El Paso county. Testing began September 1, 2005 in Travis and Williamson counties.

Back
Top Bottom