2017 Trailer Life Readers’ Choice Award Winners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VallAndMo

Hello everyone,

I just noticed that TrailerLife published their annual Reader's Choice Awards on trailer/5thWheel RVs and related products:

http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/2017-trailer-life-readers-choice-award-winners/

Very interesting and worth reading overall, but I found strange the complete absence of some brands that we've seen as highly regarded basically everywhere, some cases in point:

(a) Northwood with their legendary Arctic Fox in the 5thWheels section (instead, Keystone/GrandDesign/Forest River get Gold/Silver/Bronze awards instead -- I mean, GrandDesign is probably deserved and should even be Gold instead, but Forest River? Come on...)

(b) Andersen with their outstanding Ultimate hitches, in the 5thWheel Hitches category (it could be because they don't consider the Andersen a true "5thWheel hitch" due to its completely different working principles ie no jaws etc, but IMO that would have been very short-sighted of them).

(c) EezRV/EezTire doesn't get any mention under the Tire-Pressure Monitoring Systems category.

Other categories were more as expected, like the Hondas being #1 and the Champions #2 in the RV generators category, and Ford/GM/Ram on the towing vehicles category.

I wonder if those awards are entirely  honest, or whether there's any "rigging" going on here.

What do you people think?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

VallAndMo said:
I wonder if those awards are entirely  honest, or whether there's any "rigging" going on here.

What do you people think?

It is another advertising media for the Good Sam and Camping World empire.  Just follow the money.

Follow the money.

Who advertises in their magazine?

Who doesn't advertise in their magazine?

The only magazine I trust is Consumers Report.

While "follow the money" is near-always sage advice, I think the explanation here is more innocuous.  The TL Readers Choice is supposedly tabulated from their online poll surveys, so do not necessarily cover all available products or have anything other than reader popularity behind the ratings.  Most Popular is often a far cry from Best Available.

My guess is their online polls only includes brands sold by Camping World, or who have purchased reviews in their magazines.

Along with “ follow the money”! Some of the problem with “Readers Choice” is the ignorance, “not” stupidity, of the average RV consumer. Example: If you’be only lived in a unheated Yurt, then a Detroit Slum Lord rental may look pretty good!

During WWII, my father was part of small landing parties, checking-out many of the very small “ uninhabited” islands in the South Pacific searching for anything related to the Japanese military. They used “native” islanders to help with navigating the island jungles. These “guides” were giving new military boots as part of their payment for their help. They would remove these boots, to protect them from damage when crossing over the coral reefs while getting to the beach. Their “first and only” pair of shoes....they were “very” proud of them!

Back
Top Bottom