My Crackhead Camper (2006 Gulfstream Cavalier, FEMA Emergency Housing Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alabama Peasant

[img 1]
I bought this thing for $1,000 plus free transport. My plan is to put it on my property to live in, or if that can't be done then I'll use it as a semi-mobile storage shed and workshop, which is what it was being used for beforehand. I know the FEMA have a bad reputation, and it does look pretty rough right now. I've been telling friends that I'm buying a crackhead camper to park beside my unabomber shed and my hillbilly outhouse. I have no significant experience remodeling RVs or trailers.
[img 2]
One window is missing, the others have their rubber liners pealing off and caulk applied to prevent leakage around them, I'm thinking of replacing all of these in favor of some that can open.
[img 3]
I wish the roof had been caulked a little better. The part under the rubber membrane feels quite weak and spongy in some places, especially in the back, and the bathroom fan is uncovered. I know I'm going to have to do a lot of work here, and for all I know it may involve replacing it entirely. No sign of leaks around the AC unit.
[img 4]
No sign of damage to the walls in the front bedroom. That's good, but the floor is weak in places around the bed and cabinet and I can tell that there's been some work done to it by previous owners (non-original plywood; wish I'd thought to take a picture of it).
[img 5]
Mold under the bed. Not a good sign, though I won't know how bad it is until I take up the flooring. Probably not as bad as in some houses I've lived in.

As an aside, I know these things have a terrible reputation for toxic levels of formaldehyde. As far as I can tell, this one doesn't smell any worse than any other old trailer. That is a good thing, though if there's a cheap way to test for that then I plan on doing it.
[img 6]
Area where the cabinet is sinking into the floor. I think that is being caused by age rather than water, though I could be wrong.
[img 7]
Back bunk beds. Bad water leak with serious damage, but I planned on taking these out anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.
[img 8]
Underneath the bunk.
[img 9]
Another bad spot in the bathroom. Since toiletry won't be an issue for me (hillbilly outhouse) I may gut this whole back area and add it to the living room/kitchen.
[img 10]
View under the sink. Looks pretty sturdy, and that's a good sign.
[img 11]
The refrigerator works, and I was told that the stove, sink, and microwave do too. The wiring on the inside looks fine, but the outside connector is badly frayed and will need to be replaced.
[img 12]
Specifications.

Attachments

• IMG_1.5.jpg
    IMG_1.5.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_12.jpg
    IMG_12.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7.jpg
    IMG_7.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8.jpg
    IMG_8.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9.jpg
    IMG_9.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_10.jpg
    IMG_10.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 68
Can you find someone you could give this to? Just make sure it's not someone you know and I'm not kidding.

lol

Worse case scenario (as in too crappy to even use for storage), I'll sell the appliances, scrap the metal and use the siding for my next chicken coop.

I vote for chicken coop. That is an awful lot of damage in your photos, and you probably don?t even begin to know the hidden water damage yet.

That $1000 was no bargain, but you can maybe salvage it enough for the use you want with a lot of labor and more than a little $$. For a little more money you could have got something that needed far less repair and been much cheaper in the long run.

Age should not be a factor - most 11 year old RVs are still structurally sound if they haven't been abused or neglected. This one has suffered both of those and is literally a wreck. Based on the pix and your description, the water damage is severe throughout, so you will need to strip roof and flooring (including sub floor) and replace. Maybe some or all of the sidewalls too.  New windows are $200-$300 each but easy enough to install. Frankly, the storage shed is a better option, but even then you have to deal with the sagging floors and leaky roof, at least enough so that the stored things don't get water damage or fall through to the ground.

Chicken coop is an even better choice.

I'm with the other guys. The best you could do is sell any good stuff, like the fridge considering it works, and scrap the rest.

No matter how you use it start at the top. Clean all the questionable roof areas and reseal with Dicor. If you get 5 years or so out of it as a tool shed it may be worth your time. You could sell parts and possibly reduce your purchase price.

See if it has a cover for the black tank vent. Jack the cover up and pull another trailer under it.

Pull all appliances and sell them.  Cover most holes in the walls.  Add a ramp and some perches / nesting boxes for the chickens.

I am with the other folks. I like the one about jacking up the black vent and putting a new trailer under it.

Back
Top Bottom