RVing with PETS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of pet do you travel with?

• Total voters

ak-wannabee

I am a RVing newbie looking for new information regarding travelling with pets.  We are planning on traveling with our Miniature Australian Shepherd "Reba," our cat "Beebop," and our cockatiel "Beethovan."  Our trip is starting in about five months from Southeast Alaska heading South to the Northwestern US, then down to sunny New Mexico, Arizona, etc., and we will be on the road about 5-6 months.

It would be fantastic to get some updated info ... considerations crossing the country of Canada & border, special arrangements that might be available at certain pet-friendly parks, great no leash areas, equipment that is especially handy to have on board, safety precautions, any tips you may have are welcome, as well as anecdotes.

ak-wannabee
;D

It would also be interesting to determine how many folks travel without pets.

Can the poll be edited? to include a NONE category?

Just a thought,  carson FL

BTW  I have a 13 yr old ShihTsu and She's been slipping a bit.  Sleeping a bit more, Matted eyes much more often and Epileptic seisers much more often.  One party told me to quit feeding her Science Diet dog food, but that's about all she'll eat in dog Food. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

carson said:
It would also be interesting to determine how many folks travel without pets.

Can the poll be edited? to include a NONE category?

Just a thought,  carson FL

I agree the poll should include those that choose not to have pets.  IMHO without this option the poll does not provide a valid conclusion.

By all means it's incomplete.  The big problem if it were my statement, I wouldn't know how to change it. 

I agreee.  If you want a valid poll, add a NONE category.

ArdraF

Well, I started this thread primarily to support people who ARE traveling
with pets, to find out what kind of pets, NOT as a survey of members
to find out what percentage is not traveling with pets.  ???

Those who have no pets should really have nothing to say on
the matter ... LOL ... but if you insist on voting, then go ahead.  :p

Silly me.  ::)

God bless,
rv-wannabee
;D

Shayne said:
BTW  I have a 13 yr old ShihTsu and She's been slipping a bit.   Sleeping a bit more, Matted eyes much more often and Epileptic seisers much more often.   One party told me to quit feeding her Science Diet dog food, but that's about all she'll eat in dog Food. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.  I just lost my 11 year old Border Collie companion last month.  It was like she was full of life and as frisky as a puppy one day, then gone from kidney failure the next.  We fed her a regular high quality dog food, plus winter supplements of salmon.  So many dogs & cats in the US are suffering from kidney damage or failure at too soon an age, and I attribute that to the often unregulated contents of dog food.  Of course, this is a huge issue right now.  We just got a new puppy and will not feed her commercial dog food at all.  We feed her fresh red meat, chicken & fish, including skin, bones & organs with additional treats and nutritional supplementation, and she is doing wonderful on this diet.  If you can PM me, I can refer you to a good forum that can probably help you with better advice.

NOTE:  It turns out that I can receive PM's but I am too new to send any of my own, so I am unable to respond to your PM.  The forum address that you can just cut and paste into your browser is:  http://www.wholedogforums.com/  (they have a section where you can talk to a vet)

God bless,
ak-wannabee
:)

Our biggest problem with Casey the goofball (our black lab) was his barking while we were gone.  I tried a kennel, turning on the television, a bunch of things.  I'm not sure why it has worked, but breaking down the dinette into a bed so that he can sleep on that little bed while looking out the window seems to have done the trick.  Don't ask me why. Only God and Casey knows what goes on between those floppy black ears.

-Dave

cougar3514v said:
Our biggest problem with Casey the goofball (our black lab) was his barking while we were gone.  I tried a kennel, turning on the television, a bunch of things.  I'm not sure why it has worked, but breaking down the dinette into a bed so that he can sleep on that little bed while looking out the window seems to have done the trick.  Don't ask me why. Only God and Casey knows what goes on between those floppy black ears.

Easy.  You locked him in a large dim box that he could not see out of.  Lots of noises and smells were going outside and he could no see what was going on.  So he gets anxious and anxious dogs naturally bark -- an alarm sound.  Put down the bed and now he can see what he hears and will be still.

Shoot, I bet you would bark, or at least kvetch, if you were in his former position.    ;D

cougar3514v said:

-Dave

It is great that you found a solution for Casey before the situation got out of hand.  My Aussie puppy does much better left alone in our car where she can see outside and see people moving around, then left alone at home in her kennel or pen.  She has the most annoying high pitched bark-whine that I hope she outgrows before our trip!  Right now she is only 12 weeks.  She will be right at 8 months when we hit the road.  It is NOT ideal to travel with a dog so young, but we just pray and hope she will adjust and become well behaved.  Right now she does not like being "cooped up" at all and is always getting into all kinds of trouble if we do not keep her entertained!

ak-wannabee
:D

Our labradork barks at anyone who walks by. Not sure if he's protecting the coach or saying "Howdy" to his campground friends. When we've been gone, we usually find him on the bed (where he can see out) or on the dashboard which is large and flat and he can see everything that goes on.

I saw a couple posts in the MOTORHOMES section on people who were
modifying RV's to accomodate their bird cages.  I am bumping up this
topic in the hopes they will add their votes and comments here.

I have a cockatiel I will be traveling with.  He is almost 15 years old so I
do not know how much longer he will live, but he is pretty chipper.

God bless,
rv-wannabee
;)

Shayne said:
BTW  I have a 13 yr old ShihTsu and She's been slipping a bit.  Sleeping a bit more, Matted eyes much more often and Epileptic seisers much more often.  One party told me to quit feeding her Science Diet dog food, but that's about all she'll eat in dog Food. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Our 7 year old cat eats dry Science Diet Advanced Protection forumula cat food. She is thriving on it. 13 years old for a ShihTsu is pretty good. Have you voiced your concerns to your vet?

Regards,
Liz

We have two dogs, a Boxer, Brit, and a Cocker Spaniel, Ro.  Ro has never been a traveling dog.  She gets so excited about anything and everything.  We tried everything...in a crate, out of a crate, by a window, on the floor, she just does not travel well.  Been like that every since we've had her (rescued her at about 1 year).  So we have to board her when we go somewhere.  She even goes nuts on the way to the vet.  I mean really bad.

Brit on the other hand travels great.  We can let her do her own thing.  She will do the typical "let her floppy lips flap in the wind" when going down the slow roads (we don't let her, and wouldn't want her to at 70mph!).  And while cruising, she will climb down in the floorboard and zonk out.  She is still young and a bit rambunctious at the destination, but she is getting better.  We absolutely cannot leave her out of a crate (either at home or traveling) for very long, or she will find something to destroy.  She is a very social dog and doesn't like being alone for long periods of time (more than a few hours).  Heck, even in the crate, she will rip up a perfectly good and comfortable pad.  Dang crazy dog!

We don't take our fur baby with us.  He stays at home to guard the house  ::)  If we were fulltimers he would be right there with us.  He loves to travel and he travels well as long as he has his head in my lap. He wants to be completely in my lap but he's 55 pounds.  His favorite position when riding in the car is in the passenger seat, stretched across the center console, with his head resting on my arm while I'm driving.  I have to use my arm as a barrier so he doesn't climb on over into my lap.

Walmart sells PetSafe Bark Control collar for $39.79 with static correction. For $79 you can get one with remote control. Check PetSafe website for other products instead of static correction you can get ultrasonic bark collar to deter barking.

We did our first over night memorial Saturday and took both the collie, Shawnee and the potcake, Lady.  Lady will be staying at her Grammy's house next time she doesn't like a leash at all and wants to be out at 4am  :p .  Shawnee was wonderful.  She stays right with us the whole time and just loves to watch over her family especially the kids. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom