RVing with PETS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of pet do you travel with?

• Total voters
Give Lady a couple more chances....she'll get used to it and realize that she doesn't want to be out at 4 am any more than you do.

Wendy

Yes.  Giving Lady a brisk walk around the park just before bedtime will help the adjustment -- especially if you remove the water dish before beddy-bye.

As far as dogfood, a vet probably is the best available source.

Barking - There's a bark collar that dispenses citronella, I think it is, which doesn't shock the dog like an electric collar and run the risk of burns (especially in a very barky, persistent dog).

Since you mention coming to Arizona, be aware that it may be illegal to leave your pet(s) unattended in a vehicle. It can get very hot in there in a big hurry. The citizens and authorities tend to get upset and people return to find an officer awaiting them with a ticket while the fire dep't has broken into the vehicle to rescue the animal(s) -- at least for cars and pickups, not sure about RVs, perhaps others will comment.

We travel with our yellow lab.  She is actually the main reason we started Rving.  I thought it would be a great way for us to all go together.  Our other dog and two cats don't like to travel so their grandparents take care of them while we are gone.
;D

I don't think Lady will change.  She and my husband are up every morning between 4-6ish so she is an early riser.  But she loves going to grammy's house to play with her four friends (another potcake, golden, scottie, and german shepard).  So I am not too worried about her. 

I (we when my grandson is along) travel with 2 Australian Shepherds.  Tess (9 year female) and Concho (3 year male) both love the road, so much in fact they take over the back seat of the p-u and sleep almost the full trip.  At camp, they are very content inside or out on the long stake out runs.  They don't mind human traffic on the camp roads but let another animal approach and they have to make their stand to "protect" their territory.  Same with wild critters that find their way too near the camp site.  Voice commands will usually control their barking at other dogs whether they are inside the TT or out on the runs.  I do not try to totally stop their aggressive attitudes as it is welcomed while they are patrolling the home turf back at the ranch.  I consider myself lucky in that neither of them is a nuisance barker even though Concho gets overly agitated by thunderstorms.  (Good luck with your Aussie.  They are known to be a very devoted breed and I find them anxious to please in just about every respect.)

I found a site, petfriendly.com very helpful when if comes to the petfriendly places
along the way, it lists campgrounds, dogparks, dogbeachs, etc, (even motels) whatever you need for pet friendly advice.
I'm a fulltimer with my two Italian Greyhounds. I'm parked in an RV retirement resort park. I have a 2000 Cameo Carriagelite and I love it. I'm not going anywhere soon though, I don't have a truck yet to pull it with.
When you make it into Arizona I hope you make it during winter, then you would
have no problems with the heat and the dog. This week we are into temps of 113 and my a/c is not keeping up, although it is warm inside it is still hotter outside. I did put the heat reflective window tint on and that helps. We keep the upstair slider door shut so we are only cooling the livingroom and kitchen area. My unit is just a 29 foot fifth wheel but I definately will have to make some plans for additional a/c. I don't go anywhere during the day because of the heat in the rv. When I go to the
store it is real early in the morning and I'm back by 9:00 so that I might monitor the
situation in here with my dogs. When I go back to work next week I have made
arrangements for them elsewhere for fear of a power outage while I'm at work.
As soon as the sun goes down the a/c works fine and keeps up. Hope that helps in
your trip plan.

We have just adopted a new pet. He/She was lounging around in our backyard for several days.

Seemed to be very tame and not scared of anything. Big brown eyes too. I wonder where I can get a leash to fit.

The lat.name is "Romalea Micoptera"

When you see the pix below, you need to know it is 8 cm (a tad over 3" long from head to tail.

Commonly known as the Eastern Lubber.

Any expert opinions on how to care for it?  ;D

carson FL

Edit: image is near life size.

Attachments

• Lubber_large_700x400.jpg
    Lubber_large_700x400.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 32
I agree with Wendycoke.  Give it a try for a few days as an experiment before heading out on a big trip just to see what you are in for.  You could be plesantly surprised.  My dog refused to get in my TT at first but now loves it.  You can't take him in restarants but most other places will welcome a well behaved dog.  We took him to Lazy Days a few weeks ago and he was treated like one of the family.  Thankfully he did not pee on any of the potted plants.  My wifes dog is a Bichon and the breed is generally good natured and not very big.  You just can't let the dog alone for more than it is accustom to and you must keep the feeding and walking schedule the same. 

Back
Top Bottom