Replace Flooring - How to deal with stuff you can't see

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

Quick logistical question...

My wife and I are thinking of replacing our flooring. Right now, it is a combo of carpet and laminate. Looking at potentially moving to the Allure Vinyl product.

The laminate that's already in there goes under the cabinetry, under the shower, etc. Obviously, that stuff isn't coming out. So, what's usually done? Just slice the floor around the edge and leave it in, then the new stuff is just out in the open?

Also, in the rear, we have carpet and want to keep it that way. But, newer. But, the slideout has the bed on it and the bed hovers over the carpet there. Gaining any access to that carpet under the bed seems impossible. So, again... just slice and leave it there?

Just wondering how the existing, but unseen flooring is usually handled. Obviously, most of the interiors of these things were put in after the walls and floor, so the manufacturer just put stuff in over top the floor.

Thanks. :)

Yeap, just cut around it with either a razor knife (carpet or vinyl) or trim saw (laminate or tile). An oscillating multi-tool with its variety of blades is probably the easiest, but there are some slick (but expensive) saws designed for cutting close to trim & cabinet

https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multi-tool-62279.html

When I installed Allure, it should be floating, I used 1/2 inch 1/4 round trim at the walls both to cover the gap and allow room for the Allure to move. Where I left carpet, I used standard carpet edging from Lowes. Do use the higher grade Allure. There have been a number of negative reports on the cheaper type.

Ernie

Thanks, guys. From what I'm seeing, the job doesn't look too bad. Looks like the hard part is getting the existing stuff out. Guess I'll be pulling staples forever. ;)

On the carpet under the slideout bed... just leave it there? That bed kinda glides over the floor with the rear slide.

And the carpet on the main slideout will be replaced with new carpet. Looks pretty straightforward. The carpet just has an edging on it which overlaps the main floor (where the allure will go). If I partially bring in the slide, it raises up and it should be fairly easy to do what needs to be done there.

Also planning to keep carpet up in the driving area. Seems much easier.

There are several types of bed slides, so not sure just how yours works. Some have a fixed pedestal on the floor and the bed frame glides over that, maybe on nylon skids. Others may have roller or skids under the bed frame, similar to the living room slides. Most bed slides don't move far, 12-18" is typical, so you can often get at the carpet to remove it if its the full float type. If there is a low fixed pedestal, just run the slide out and cut around the fixed part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom