Indicator light for generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I am very hard of hearing and cannot tell if my generator is running from inside my RV. I would like to put an indicator light on the dash to let me know when it is running. I wonder if anyone here can tell me how I would go about wiring one into the generator start switch on the dash. I've looked on the web but can't find anything helpful.
Thanks in advance.

You don't have a light built in to the generator switch? Or maybe it's burned out? You don't mention which coach you have -- perhaps someone would be familiar with your coach.

Sorry, I have a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind Storm with a Cummins Onan Generator. It looks like there might be a light on the switch but it must be burnt out. It is the original switch. Hope this helps.

I have that BOB problem on my Gen Start Switch.. I plan do do some under dash work in the near future (Possibly later this week, or next) as the Radio quit on me and anohter indicator is dead.. I'll see if I can figure it out on my dash.. ODDS are yours is much like mine where that switch is concerned

(I hate working under the blasted dash. Would be so much easier If I could just REMOVE the blasted driver's seat).

I know what you mean. Luckily my dash panel pulls out with removal of 6 screws so it's easy to work on. Let me know if you find something.

There's no indicator light on our coach, either.  Only is an issue when we start it while driving.  However, when power comes on, the microwave beeps and the clock on it turns on - it's a perfect indicator!

I use this and love it. Basically a small cheap LED nightlight, but it also displays the voltage. Even supports fine tuning the measurement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDJRLKI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

captaindomon said:
I use this and love it. Basically a small cheap LED nightlight, but it also displays the voltage. Even supports fine tuning the measurement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDJRLKI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, that looks great!

Would this nightlight voltage monitor take the place of a more expensive voltage meter you use of an electric post?  Seems awfully cheap compared to other expensive ones.

It's not that great on absolute accuracy. The manufacturer lists accuracy as: Measuring accuracy: +/-1.5%, +/- 2 word . I'm not sure what they mean by "word". Generally digital meters always have a +/- one on the least significant digit. +/- 1.5% at 120 volts is 1.8 volt possible error +/- the one or two volt error on the least significant digit.

I don't see any of this as significant. Even with this error it should be very repeatable and good enough for your purpose.

Tom

JudyJB said:
Would this nightlight voltage monitor take the place of a more expensive voltage meter you use of an electric post?  Seems awfully cheap compared to other expensive ones.

I also use this when on shorepower.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RV-Surge-Protector-EMS-PT30X/dp/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512759772&sr=8-1&keywords=progressive+ems+30+amp

The LED nightlight thing is more of a convenience, it's easy for me to glance over and see if I still have 120v power and if there are any significant power dips. But if the voltage drops too low, the EMS cuts the power as a safety measure.

I have a string of Christmas lights permanently installed over the sofa...DW like the ambient light...and they are line voltage so that helps somewhat...but they are switched and not in your face.....so not a perfect solution.

More to the point of what you want.....I installed a remote switch in my dash to start and stop teh genny, along with an indicator light.

I can't believe I don't have a picture of the install.  Basically, I tapped into the wiring at the plug shown in this photo.

I ordered this light  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLB6-R-ATI-6mm-1-4-Red-12V-LED-Metal-Indicator-Pilot-Dash-Light-Black-Body-/322447106827?hash=item4b1358630b

and this switch  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Hersee-58027-04-SPDT-Momentary-On-Off-Momentary-On-3-Blade-Rocker-Switch-/253252383986?hash=item3af704b4f2

some 4 conductor 18 ga wire, and some connectors

You could easily just do the light without the switch if that's all you need.

Alternatively, if you already have a dash switch, you could probably find a lit replacement for it.

The generator has the wiring for the light (and remote switch)...you just have to tap into the circuit.

It would take just a little digging into the schematic to find it..... don't have mine handy at the moment, but yours might be different anyway.  Get your model number and google for the schematics.  If you need help, post the model of your genny and I (or someone else here) I'm sure would be happy to help.

One comment about my light.... it's bright at night.  I on purpose installed it down low on the kick panel just above my knee, and blocked by the gear shift lever while I'm driving.  Durring the day I can see it's reflected light, or just lean a bit to check it.  Worked out very well I think.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 13
found this, shows where I tapped into the wires.  The yellow cable is what I ran up to the dash

Once I researched the schematics and ordered all the parts, it was an easy one beer job while sitting in a campground one day.....

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom