New LED project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

New project.  Hey it keeps me out of the bars.

I have been getting my Stacker ready to use as a workshop for any projects that anyone at the Quartzsite Rally wants to take on.

I have been restocking basic items like hardware and materials.

The area under the lift is not as well lighted as the workbench so I thought I would brighten it up a bit with 6 rows of LED strip lights.  Each row is 15 feet long.

The challenge is to run electric to the lights and have a system that takes into account the movement of the lift up and down over 6 feet.  I also have to make sure that the lights are not damaged when the lift is all the way down on the floor.

I had some heavy duty 12 volt connectors that are much better than 12 volt sockets and plugs.

I connected 12 gauge wire with a 25 amp inline fuse at one of the battery banks, (four T-105s) and ran it in plastic conduit along the wall to the front of the lift.

I used a plastic box to house the plug in connectors and mounted it to the wall.

I built another housing to contain the two switches, (one for each side), and wiring connections and mounted it under the lift with the power leads where they could be tucked under the lift when disconnected from power.

As a safety feature I use a wood 2X4 inserted into the vertical space under the lift when it is up.  I mounted the power connection right where the front left safety 2X4 is stored when out from under the lift.  This is a reminder to unplug the power before lowering the lift.  I added a warning on the 2X4 to remove the power lead before removing the 2X4 to lower the lift.

I mounted the LED strips using the new industrial strength Velcro.

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• rledlift.jpg
    rledlift.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 74
  • rledwiring.jpg
    rledwiring.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 59
  • rledlift2.jpg
    rledlift2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 57
  • rshop2.jpg
    rshop2.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 64
Be sure to check those LEDs for heat.  My experience has been that the SM5050s are not well regulated and might not work well with the 14+ volts an RV occasionally has.  I always add a buck regulator and limit them to 10-11 volts.  Not sure how many amps you'll need for a 15' string of them.

It doesn't take much heat to melt the adhesive on the back of those Velcro pieces.  I gave up on Velcro and now use my wife's hot glue guns. 

Nice set up.  And thanks, now I have lift envy.

I use those 5 meter strips, sliced and diced a bit, to replace the florcesent's in my RV. last one gets done this week if I have time.. THEY ARE NICE.. Ther ones I use are from Amazon, less than 20 bucks a strip and Cool White.. Bright, Low power and unlike the florcesents.. No Burn OUt.

I did the same but the bright whites were too blue and bright, the warm white were too yellow and dim.  In the end I alternated strings of cool white and warm white to get a prefect mixture.  Been using them like this for about 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom