Escalante State park and Area around, how much time to spend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Planning our Utah trip, in March and April. Doing snow canyon in March, down to Valley of Fire State park and Lake Mead and then up to Quail Creek over spring break, over to Kanab a few days and then up to Escalante State Park. Did Kodachrome, Bryce and Zion last year...

What to do around Escalante, I see lots on the web, we like to hike, do some "drives" on good roads, want to do some slots! will have our dog, so prefer state parks and the National Monuments, dog friendly. Planning on Calf Falls, the Boulder Drive, hiking the state park... what else do you suggest... how many nights? Is 5 or 6 nights too many there... We don't like to drive too far.. thinking Capitol Reef is too far for a day drive from there. Will head that direction after that... trying to decide on Goblin or Dead Horse, or some dispersed camping etc. around Moab..

Have 2 nights reserved at Arches and then will boondock around the area some and head home...

Suggestions on what else to do.. time frames. I know one never has enough days. With dog not sure if we want to stay at Dead Horse State Park or stay outside.. Ideas, thoughts...

From Moab consider doing the Great Gallery at Horseshoe Canyon if you are fit. The petroglyphs are incredible.

There are lots of slot canyons along Hole in the Rock Road, Spooky and Peekaboo are 2 non technical ones, but one of them you need to climb up to get in, I  couldn't make it but I'm not very fit.  We also did Drycreek Wash, look out for rattlesnakes.

Hells Backbone is a nice drive as is Powell Point but you need a 4x4 for that one.

The lottery for the Wave, or South Coyote Buttes ( unsubscribed usually, very Sandy road though). Rocking V restaurant in Kanab is really good.

Also a few nice canyons near Topic- Willis Creek being one but you may have done some whilst at Kodachrome.

Fabulous area you will love it.

Escalante State Park was a surprise to us because it has a neat petrified forest area.  You ascend on a trail to get to it from the campground.  We think Goblin is a kick and fairly easy to navigate.  The campground is fun because you're parked among interesting formations.  Near it is Little Wildhorse Canyon which is a slot canyon, also relatively easy.  If you Google Goblin Valley State Park, the Wikipedia article has a good map showing the Wildhorse location relative to Goblin  Gosh, there's so much in that area but these are a couple of our favorites.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom