What's usually under a tub? Remodel questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian

It's still winter so I have time to plan for Spring.  I want to swap out my tub for a standup shower and move my sink next to is (Where the tub is now).  This way I'll have more room around the toilet and I can get a bigger adult-sized one.

My TT is a 1988 Terry Resort.  I'm just wondering if anyone has removed a tub, and what was underneath?  Is it a floor or a hole?  I'm planning to put down new vinyl flooring, I'm just wondering if I'll have to build some flooring structure first.  I want to get a as much of the planning and material purchase done so I can get it done quickly once I start and not eat into camping time.  :))

You should find just regular flooring under the tub. During construction, they lay the flooring even with vinyl then erect the walls and go around cutting all the holes for the piping, heating and wiring.

I removed the tub in my 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness TT when I had to fix some water damage. Full floor underneath with just cut-outs for the plumbing. The tub did sit up on blocks of stiff foam - maybe 2" or 3" high - the drain plumbing ran above the floor for a bit rather than straight down through.

Thanks! This makes me feel better about this project! :D
If I can convince the wife, there will be no shower either.  Just sink and storage cabinet!

Dorian, you're asking for trouble!  If you try to convince your wife not to have a shower and she wants one, it will be YOUR RV and not OUR RV and she'll hate it.  Do you want to have peace and someone to travel with or a less-than-happy environment and her staying at home?  Believe me, I've seen a lot of cases where the husband got what he wanted and the wife seldom got in it because her needs were not addressed initially.  I cannot imagine having only a sink and cabinet with no shower.  Do you have any idea how dirty campgrounds can be?  Or how dirty you can get just working on repairs?  Not having a shower would be a major deal breaker for me and I imagine for most other women.  Many of us want our own facilities and prefer not to use the campground bathroom, if one even is available.  Sometimes it's only a vault toilet!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Dorian, you're asking for trouble!  If you try to convince your wife not to have a shower and she wants one, it will be YOUR RV and not OUR RV and she'll hate it.  Do you want to have peace and someone to travel with or a less-than-happy environment and her staying at home?  Believe me, I've seen a lot of cases where the husband got what he wanted and the wife seldom got in it because her needs were not addressed initially.  I cannot imagine having only a sink and cabinet with no shower.  Do you have any idea how dirty campgrounds can be?  Or how dirty you can get just working on repairs?  Not having a shower would be a major deal breaker for me and I imagine for most other women.  Many of us want our own facilities and prefer not to use the campground bathroom, if one even is available.  Sometimes it's only a vault toilet!

ArdraF

I have to agree with this and the OP should also consider as a side note, the potential impact on resale value.

The tub and toilet is the main reason my wife agreed on getting our camper. She passed on several nicer ones that had showers. She loves her little tub and it's a small price to pay to see her happy.

There's regular flooring under the tub, but if the base of the tub is a couple of inches above the RV floor you'll have to build a new platform for the shower at that same height.

This is to allow room for the P-trap.  It can't go lower because the holding tanks are hard up against the underside of the floor.

Back
Top Bottom