2018 winnie drop 170k - mostly great, minor issues, and a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrg2brn

went on first trip in the new coach, able to really test all systems. as with all coaches, it has it quirks. not terribly bad, but odd, is the incredible force the heater on/off switch takes to turn on. I was sure it was going to break, and with all that force, at some point, it absolutely will. wonder if there is a fix - or is this NOT common?

ive noticed the slide will not slide unless the battery power is cut on, even on shore power. I wonder why?

the kitchen slide out in back does notline up. ill get a drill/grinder after it this afternoon, just thought that was a strange thing to go wrong.

the back door is bowing at the center handle. this is unrepairable, and a new one is on its way. id imagine, though, unless I take GREAT care, this will happen again. a design flaw. the door needs a handle on both sides, or better reinforcements.

the bluetooth simply does not work, and sound coming out of the camper speakers from the tv works MOST of the time.

both battery terminal terminators to the batteries fell off and I had to recrimp them.

probably typical post production issues, and im hoping there are no more, but my question is this:

do you guys cover your campers? I see rpod covers online for about 200. is this suggested/required? has winnebago put out their own  line of covers?

well thanks for reading, just some minor ranting and questions I guess. all in all I think its going to be a great camper.

~nrg

We have a boat and the cover on that usually takes two to put on. I can't imagine all the hassel of climbing on the roof and trying to put a cover on a humungus  RV. I pay for coverd storage here in the deert..a lot easier. Happy Camping!

I have a 32 footer, I can manage the cover myself a 65 years of age.  Just do it when there is no wind.

nrg2brn, I don’t know your property size or local ordinances (one of the many advantages of living in the country), but have you considered a pole barn. They are “not” a very expensive investment.  We’ve got lots of “stuff”, and filled up our first one. We just put in our 2nd one in this past summer. Hopefully, that can be an option for you, also consider this advice (I didn’t)! Get one twice as large as you think you need....you’ll never regret it. Also.... 16’ sidewalls with 14’x14’ roll-up door is great. Our first barn was 32’ wide x 48’ long with 2 14’x14’ doors on the narrow side(end). Loved it, one of our best purchases....only too small!  It is not only a great storage area...but could be used for a shop, or just about anything else you can think of!

nrg2brn said:
....do you guys cover your campers? I see rpod covers online for about 200. ...
Our Horizon is parked under roof on our ranch and always plugged in. The major issue with covers is when the wind blows they will flap around, and when they flap enough, they will wear/rub the exterior surface of your unit. Even if you pull and tie the cover very tight, it's still going to flap around. The other issue is trapping moisture. Good boat covers will be stretched very tight so there will be little or no movement and include vents for air circulation.

Whoever recommended a pole barn gave you good advice, there's even metal shells (carports) or semi-permanent fabric carports (or shelters) that would work well and are inexpensive.

When I owned a motorcycle I was told not to put a cover on it. Was told it would rust worse with cover on.

The only time I used a cover on my Harleys in the last 40 or so years was on the last dresser I had. I only used it during the spring when the pollen gets bad.

Memtb, x2 for "I built a shed and it was too small so I built another one".  Depending on your local area and site grading/condition our 36' x 48' x 14' sidewall was about $28,000.  That did not include any concrete, insulation, HVAC, or electrical.  You could say it's a fixed cover that doesn't flap in the wind  ;D

Oh, and one more thing...the second one is too small.  "Honey, I've been thinking........"

I've noticed the slide will not slide unless the battery power is cut on, even on shore power. I wonder why?

Not surprising!! The slide is battery (12VDC) operated. The 'storage' switch cuts off the battery supply and, in your case, the way it is wired in will not allow the inverter to supply the necessary 12V when plugged in (or allow charging the battery, most likely).

thanks for the replys - entertaining reading!

the ONLY thing I hate about the TT, and the ONLY reason we didnt upgrade sooner is the fact that with the popup, I could store it in my backyard, under a pvc/tarp cover I made. as it is, the HOA will not allow its height, so here we are. My Harley, btw, stays in the garage, and if my wife would allow? it would be in the living room.
it is very seldom windy here in nc, so thats good. the good covers are breathable, so moisture trap shouldnt be an issue, mainly want the UV off of the seals, etc. just bought one for the rpod, basically the winnie is an rpod copy, so it should fit. Ill examine the seals every season. im pretty ocd about maintenance. im also cheap. and this camper wasnt. needs to last.....

as the battery goes, ive realized that in the world of tt's I need to man up and just deal with the battery. the old simple pup days are over, so I got me a tender, and modified the box a bit to make it easier to pull out, bought an extra socket just for it, and its in my garage now, sleeping soundly.

the 170k comes with an outside kitchen, but the sink does not drain. I have to admit, my drain to funnel to garden hose mod was pretty good. Ill post a pic when I get back out there. all for now. thanks, all.

~nrg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom