Advice for a new RV Motor Home shopper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

My wife and I are starting the shopping process.  We like the Tiffin Allegro Red and the year 2014 seems about right for getting one in good condition and at a good price.  However, using NADA is not helpful because I suspect they are a little high (?)  If, for example, a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Red is listed at $175,000 and is in good condition, approximately what will we have to pay if we get a fair deal?

Daisymae

When researching an RV I try to find identical RVs for sale to compare asking price.  If you buy from a dealer, you will likely have to pay more than from a private seller.  Also, I look at NADA for RVs guide and look at the low retail price without add ons, and only adjusting for mileage on gas motorhomes. My goal is to buy as close to low retail as I think I can get, and still feel comfortable with the deal.  There are lots of RVs out there for sale, so dont get "married" to one too soon.

My problem with NADA is that it is based upon a depreciation schedule and fails to account for other factors such as build quality, desirable features, etc.  Therefore it fails to reward things like innovative features, or punish unpopular design choices.    For example bunkhouse diesel pushers came on the scene 7 or 8 year ago, and have been very popular, yet the NADA values for these models are the same as their non-bunkhouse brethren.

Also keep in mind that asking price and selling price can be two very different things, even on seemingly good deals there is often room another 20% in negotiation. 

Also keep in mind price and age do not have a direct correlation, maintenance, storage conditions, etc. have a lot to do with it. Though while some things age out, batteries, tires and other rubber parts.  An 8-10 year old coach that has been well maintained, kept in covered or indoor storage, in a salt free environment may well be in better shape than one that is half the age that has spent most of its life in the sun by the beach. 

As Isaac-1 says, the free online NADA RV Guide is simply estimated depreciation and does not take market preferences into account.  You can consider it a ballpark figure, but nothing more than that. Try to find other sellers of the same coach, and similar models from other manufacturers and compare. Also consider buying the real NADA RV Appraisal Guide, which costs $69 for one or $137 for a year subscription (3 issues). That's what banks & dealers often use and it has somewhat better data (though still not on a par with car market info).

http://www.nadaguidesstore.com/Store/recreation-vehicle-appraisal-guide

You also have to take asking prices with several grains of salt - mostly they are wishful thinking rather than firm expectation. Since you have no trade-in, you will want to bargain hard and be prepared to walk away.

I would recommend driving what you think you are interested in before the purchase.  While renting can seem expensive, it can narrow your search and provide some good data for what you don't want.

PPL motorhomes website is a great tool for shopping. You can look up prices on models you like, as well as do virtual tours on some of them. Heck you might even go there and buy one. Most are on consignment from the owners. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale  Other good sources are rtv and autotrader. My thought are, most private sellers list  at slightly higher than they really want. Unless the price says firm, this is my assumption. Most dealers are weasels, and only gave the person who traded the unit in about half of what it was really worth. This means they have lots of room to drop and still make money, but chances are because they are in the business of making money, they will only drop a little as well unless it is one they cant seem to sell. If you dont get in a hurry, you will find a better deal. Rushing in to the first couple you look at generally doesnt get you a good deal unless you get real lucky.

My advice, as a one-month owner of my first RV:  ask people here anything and listen.  AND, go to the threads where RV owners say what they would change about their RVs and what they love about their RVs and make a list of the things that sound like what you need and don't need.  I guess that's actually a circle back to my first suggestion: listen to the people on this forum.

PPL [consignment sales] Motorhomes lists the actual selling price of each RV they've sold in the past two years. If they've handled an Allegro Red, that will give you a firmer idea of market value. Be aware that consignment sales like that are typically lower than dealer prices.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold-rvs

Gary RV_Wizard said:
PPL [consignment sales] Motorhomes lists the actual selling price of each RV they've sold in the past two years. If they've handled an Allegro Red, that will give you a firmer idea of market value. Be aware that consignment sales like that are typically lower than dealer prices.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold-rvs

They don't show all of them.  I bought my Puma in Jan of 17 and I don't see it there but the Foretravel I bought last month does show up  :)

As another first time rv buyer, we shopped for over 3 years. Viewed thousands online, dozens in person and drove most of those dozens we viewed. Be patient, take notes, i.e. Likes, dislikes and most of all be overly critical. So many rigs out there and you are in charge. Do not forget that!

PPL [consignment sales] Motorhomes lists the actual selling price of each RV they've sold in the past two years.

It appears that PPL no longer includes the actual selling price in their SOLD listings. Too bad - it was an excellent data source.

IMO I wouldn't look at just the Tiffin brand.  If you have any where near $175K to spend, you could get a LOT more coach
buying something in the 2006 and up years.  There are plenty of slightly used older MH's out there that have a lot of life left in them.

Just saying if I had that much $$$$ I would be looking at a tag axle unit. But that's just me.

Good luck with what ever you decide on......

I started looking for Tiffin and Newmar's but ended up with a great deal on a Foretravel which is a high-end coach also.  Bottom line is look at all then check the background.

My 97 Foretravel sold new of $239,000, I got it for just under $22,000 and with new tires and a few repairs I will have less than $26,000 in a one owner that took very good care of it with all the records.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom