Electric awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leexlt

I have a 2007 32' Southwind and last week I hit the electric awning on a tree branch (guess my wife's flashlight didn't go that far). Another story but nothing looks seriously damaged but the awning motor is not working. I saw several on line for under $250. How hard are they to replace?

Lee

Usually not hard, if you have a helper.  If the wiring & inside control has to be changed, that can be anywhere from simple to daunting.

But why replace the whole thing if the only issue is the motor? Motors are replaced easily enough (most awnings use electric window motors), and you may have only a wiring or fuse problem.

it did move a few inches back and forth while still at the camp site but a wire may have come loose on the way home. I'll check thanks.

Lee

I'm sure I only need to replace the motor but on Amazon they're $250.00

Lee

I'm pretty sure it's just an outside motor issue. I have the regular control and the remote.

Lee

Leexlt said:

Lee

Like Gary said, a window motor might be the same thing.  Take the motor to an auto parts store and compare.  Should be 1/5 the price of the marked up RV price.

Keep shopping. You need to find the equivalent part number from the motor manufacturer and not pay Carefree or Dometic parts prices. The motor for my Carefree Eclipse comes from Dorman via Amazon and cost under $50. It's a Dorman # 742-141.

Neither Carefree nor Dometic/A&E make motors - they just use available parts from vehicle industry suppliers.

Just a pointer, IF you can get a replacement Dorman part from NAPA it will likely come with a lifetime warranty. File the receipt with the rest of your manuals for the RV and when a new one is needed they will honor it with no questions asked. I have done this twice with my step motor, saving a couple of hundred dollars.

just thinkin' out loud here....
but if it worked before you smacked it
smacking it wouldn't seem to likely damage a motor to make it just not work, unless you can actually see physical damage....bent housing, bent shaft, etc...
I'd guess more likely culpruits might include
cut wires, shorted wires, or unplugged wires
bent awning "hinges" jaming them and making it so the motor doesn't have enough torque to overcome and open
blown fuse or switch because of a or b above....

I guess what I'm saying is how do you know it's the motor, and not something else just preventing the motor from working?

A agree with others. First check the wires & fuses. I've noticed manufacturers often don't use the best care when routing the wires and a good bump can cut a wire or cause a short.

Back
Top Bottom