EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Grounding all negative leads to battery?  (Read 448 times)

lancefb

• ---
  • What is this big thing in my driveway?
Grounding all negative leads to battery?
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »
Hello friends. I'm rewiring the 12 volt side of my ancient RV. I'm thinking of putting the battery in the cabinet next to the power center (I believe it is sturdy enough for the weight). This means that the battery, converter, and fuses will all be close to each other and I can take all negative leads from the circuit loads back to the negative terminal on the battery and not have to worry about grounding to the chassis.

Is there anything wrong with this? Am I missing something?
Lance F. Barker
=========
1973 Dodge Beaver
Kona Kikapu mountain bike + bike trailer
Plumas County, CA

HueyPilotVN

• ---
Re: Grounding all negative leads to battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
You might want to address how you will seal the compartment and vent the hydrogen gas to outside.

Also on my rig the Invertor is not in the same compartment as the battery to prevent a possible spark causing problems with the battery gassing.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

lancefb

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
You might want to address how you will seal the compartment and vent the hydrogen gas to outside.

Also on my rig the Invertor is not in the same compartment as the battery to prevent a possible spark causing problems with the battery gassing.

Are there gasses in a sealed battery with a 4 stage charger?
Lance F. Barker
=========
1973 Dodge Beaver
Plumas County, CA

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:05:04 PM »
Attaching a bunch of wires directly to the battery isn't really best practice. Having one cable from the battery to a ground post, where other ground wires are connected, is a better idea.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »
Grounding buss is the way to go, much like it had already, with a heavy cable to the battery. I sure wouldn't want a battery in my coach weather it is a sealed battery or not.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

lancefb

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »
Attaching a bunch of wires directly to the battery isn't really best practice. Having one cable from the battery to a ground post, where other ground wires are connected, is a better idea.

I have a negative bus bar so there would be just one cable coming back to the battery.
Lance F. Barker
=========
1973 Dodge Beaver
Plumas County, CA

lancefb

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:27:30 PM »
Grounding buss is the way to go, much like it had already, with a heavy cable to the battery. I sure wouldn't want a battery in my coach weather it is a sealed battery or not.

OK, maybe I'll back off on that idea and put it in the original location, although it is still inside the coach because it is accessible from inside as well as outside.
Lance F. Barker
=========
1973 Dodge Beaver
Plumas County, CA

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 02:43:55 AM »
I had an Alfa trailer that placed the battery right behind the power center.  It was in a sealed compartment with a door identical to the one behind the refrigerator providing venting to the outside.  Worked great.

For grounding, take a single high current wire (8 gauge or better) from the negative buss to the chassis.

Any wet cell battery must be vented to the outside.  AGM and Lithium Ion batteries don't need venting and can be safely mounted inside the RV.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:49:24 AM by Lou Schneider »

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 06:44:57 AM »
Are there gasses in a sealed battery with a 4 stage charger?

YES

Take all grounds back to a bus bar. Nice heavy solid brass bar.. ANd use a battery cable (Like 4GA or larger) to connect IT to the battery.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network