My new 24' Winnie Class C can tow an F150?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbdave

We are downsizing from a Itasca Cambria 28B (30 feet) to a Minnie Winnie 22M which is a new model. We originally bought a Travato but it was just a bit small . We were looking to get into smaller campgrounds and go toadless so we could easily travel wherever and take in the sights...all the stuff that goes along with being nimble.

So we walked through a Minnie 22M and at 24' it seemed like it would be a great compromise between having some elbow room, much better water/waste capacities and a queen size walk around bed (in a 24' coach!)

I was not happy with the cargo capacity of all the ones we saw at around 1300 lbs on the E350 though so we ordered one on the E450. Found one online that had over 4000 lbs of cargo capacity. That'll work!

So when we bought the Travato we sadly sold our CRV set up to tow as we didn't need it. The whole point of this new rig was to have the space and capacity to travel for up to 6 weeks without worrying about what we bring and not have to tow a toad, but could if we wanted.

So I figured if the time came we could get a older used CRV or similar to tow.

Until today when I saw someone flat towing an F150...and well, I already have a 2017 F150 and had to wonder.

So here's the math - Truck curb weight is 4980 lbs. With topper and stuff in it I'll round waaaay up and say 5600 lbs.

2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie (optional E450 chassis) 14,500 GVWR which with the cargo capacity of over 4k lbs I will never even approach. GCWR = 22,000 lbs. Hitch draw bar capacity = 7,500 lbs with a 500 lb vertical tongue max.

That means the draw bar has enough capacity by around 2k lbs. and the GCWR of 22000 lbs minus the 14500 GVWR puts the towing capacity at 7500 lbs ( if maxed out the OCCC) ....so I can easily tow my F150 on paper, with a ton of excess capacities.

My old Cambria Towed my CRV like it wasn't there with the exception of major grades out west (could still pass semis). So while the F150 is bigger than the CRV, the 24' class c we will now be driving is actually on paper more capable of towing an F150 than about any other gasser MH on the road...Am I right?

It sounds like you have run the correct numbers, and with GCWR being 7500# higher than GVWR, it can tow the weight. 

The real question is if YOUR F150 is towable.  Check    http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/  to find out.  I know older ones, like my 2013 F350, only  4WD with the manual 4WD shifter were towable as it requires  placing the 4WD into neutral.

I gues I should have added that my F150 IS flat towable per the owners manual. It actually has a flat towing "feature" and the DIC tells you when you have it ready to go. My dealer said they have set up several as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom