Winnie Drop - Carrying Bikes and Other Topics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've been on 3 trips with our 2017 170S and we like all the upgrades over our old 2012 Rpod 177. I posted a topic about putting a hitch receiver on my 170S for a bike rack and got lots of responses. Thanks to all. The issue is that there is no rear bumper on the 170s and the rear frame member is set back from the rear of the RV. Short of buying fold up bikes has anyone tried to put the bikes inside the RV?

I also have a question about the entertainment center. When I disconnect from shore power, the unit stays on and eventually drains the battery. The only way I've found to turn it off is to pull the fuse. Am I missing something simple?

I have also found a very narrow 18" long gap inside the bathroom on the driver's side between the wall panel and rear panel. What should I use to seal it?

Any all help is greatly appreciated.

MtDoraFLcurmudgeon said:
... Short of buying fold up bikes has anyone tried to put the bikes inside the RV?
We've carried bikes on the rear of our toad and then I tried hanging them from the ladder (huge PITA.) Trying to keep them inside would wind up being a huge hassle after a while.

I also have a question about the entertainment center. When I disconnect from shore power, the unit stays on and eventually drains the battery. The only way I've found to turn it off is to pull the fuse. Am I missing something simple?
Probably not. I'm guessing the electronics needs continuous power to retain memory which is most likely a design compromise. The engineer could have designed it with non-volatile storage (retains memory with no power) but that adds manufacturing expense. Solutions - a) keep the unit plugged in if possible b) insert a switch to cut off power to the electronics c) use a small auxiliary battery and a switch to put the electronics on its own battery or d) try a large value supercapacitor in place of the battery.

I have also found a very narrow 18" long gap inside the bathroom on the driver's side between the wall panel and rear panel. What should I use to seal it?
Depends on if it is subject to flexing, I like the polyurethane based sealants.

We have carried bikes inside our travel trailers a few times. It got the job done but was definitely a PITA. I was always worried about getting chain grease on the couch, tearing the fabric, or gouging the cabinets so we'd wrap the bikes in an old blanket or two...then you have to store the blankets somewhere. And if you stop to make lunch on the road, they are in the way. If it's your only option, it should work; it's just not a great option.

A roof rack or double receiver for the tow vehicle, maybe?

We tow our Winnie Drop with a Nissan Frontier so I just load the bikes in the bed of the truck.

Our entertainment center (radio, DVD player) has an on/ off button.

I'll have to check for that gap in the bathroom. Do not recall seeing anything like that.

Do you mean the TV etc, stay on so that you can simply turn it on and use it?

If so, it will be most likely powered by a small inverter connected directly to the battery. Simply disconnect the inverter or turn it off, many of them will likely have an off-on switch on it, once you find it. (Try looking in a cabinet for a small box very close to the entertainment centre ).

The entertainment display stays on. I?m sure that?s what is draining the battery. In my Rpod, the entertainment center was only 120v.

Long wife story. I wanted a pickup and wound up with a Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate. I don?t want to deal with a roof rack. Had one years ago and it?s a hassle. I guess I?ll see what I can do to carry the bikes in the SUV.

I don?t believe the small seam separation is due to flexing. I was thinking silicon sealant. The gap is less than a 1/16?.

Thanks for all the suggestion.

MtDoraFLcurmudgeon said:
...I don?t believe the small seam separation is due to flexing. I was thinking silicon sealant. The gap is less than a 1/16?...
My remark wasn't about what caused your separation but where there is flexing of a joint, you need an appropriate sealant that has elasticity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom