rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Truthfully - is RV'ing becoming less enjoyable  (Read 2014 times)

nonrev321

• ---
Truthfully - is RV'ing becoming less enjoyable
« on: December 05, 2017, 03:01:49 AM »
Need truthful opinions based on experience.

My wife and I have been investigating traveling after I retire in two years.  We were about ready to pull the trigger on a travel trailer than my wife got talking to some folks in her church who travel a lot with a travel trailer.

Seems they are not as happy with the experience as they used to be.  Too hard to find nice places to stay, RV parks are too crowded.  You have to make reservations 6 months in advance for the nice places in good locations.  The ability to just pick up and go and/ or stop anyplace and stay awhile is becoming increasingly difficult due to the demand for spaces.

Truthfully this kind of freedom was one of the major attractions for myself and my wife.  We recognized that some parks would likely be crowded and there would be some need to make reservations in advance... but 6 months ?  Also a RV park that is packed to the gills really isn’t too appealing to me, especially if there is nothing like a line of shrubs or other divider to keep me from looking into my neighbors window. 

Can people comment?  Is it becoming less enjoyable due to overcrowding?

Thanks

nonrev
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:01:26 AM by Sun2Retire »

JackL

• ---
Re: Truthfully - is RV'ing becoming less enjoyable
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:38 AM »
I just answered your question on the other forum !

"I would say yes to your question, but what we did to solve it for us is to buy our own RV lot.
 We traveled all around the country and in Alaska and then about fifteen years ago decided to snow bird in the Florida Keys.
 It was fairly easy to get a spot in the state parks back then, but then it got increasingly harder until it reached the point that you had to be on the NET at 8:00 AM eleven months in advance.
 Four years ago we found a deal that we couldn't refuse on a Rv lot in Key Largo in a condominium style RV park, and we are now happy campers, and never have to worry about having a spot to come to.
 In addition we can rent it out when we are not there and one thing that I never realized was the fact that it is a fantastic investment.
 We get several contacts from realtors a years that have perspective buyers if we want to sell."

Jack L
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:32:39 AM by JackL »

Oldgator73

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:28:01 AM »
The problem with owning your own RV lot is you are committed to that location year after year. We really don't like going to the same place every year for vacation. The OP is correct in everything they say. We like to stay in State and National parks and we like to do most things last minute. Can't do that since spots fill up so fast now. It's getting more and more expensive now too. I can travel across the US by car and stop at most any off ramp and get a hotel room that includes breakfast w/o a reservation. I've done it. Just walk in ask for the rack rate and they are usually more than happy to accommodate you. We are not giving up the RV lifestyle yet because we do enjoy the outdoors.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
There are several different factors.
Yes. I am seeing the parks fuller than I recall and occasionally needing to find alternate parking for a few days.. Never had that problem before.

And there used to be a needle point in, as I recall, my Mother's kitchen
"Kissing wears out, Cookin Don't"

With the exception of cooking and perhaps singing.. Most things "Get old" after a while and it is not as much fun as it was 20 years ago.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Oldgator73

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »
We just flew to Rome, took an 11 day Mediterranean cruise and spent a week in Barcelona. I did not enjoy it. 10 years ago I would have enjoyed it. I am tired of the hassle that accompanies most everything you do now days. Flying is such a pain in the butt. I told the wife from now on all our vacations will be in the States and if we can't drive there we don't need to go. I would like to go to Canada though, and we can drive there. As far as RVing, we still enjoy it. We enjoy being in the outdoors. But the outdoors is getting increasingly crowded. Maybe we should just boondock instead of trying to stay in parks.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
The whole world is more crowded, and in much of the USA people seem more self-centered and generally grumpy. Maybe it seems that way because I'm old now, and complaining about the younger generations is the norm?  Still, we find that with so many more people flocking to RVs, it's more like going to Walmart than a sense of a small community of people sharing an interest.

That doesn't mean it's no fun, or that every person and place will be a drag. Might want to avoid the more popular destinations, though, except maybe for a one time "been there, done that" visit.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »
As far as RVing, we still enjoy it. We enjoy being in the outdoors. But the outdoors is getting increasingly crowded. Maybe we should just boondock instead of trying to stay in parks.

Boondocking definitely opens up a lot of options and diversity.  This is our plan beginning in January.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »
Need truthful opinions based on experience.

My wife and I have been investigating traveling after I retire in two years.  We were about ready to pull the trigger on a travel trailer than my wife got talking to some folks in her church who travel a lot with a travel trailer.

Seems they are not as happy with the experience as they used to be.  Too hard to find nice places to stay, RV parks are too crowded.  You have to make reservations 6 months in advance for the nice places in good locations.  The ability to just pick up and go and/ or stop anyplace and stay awhile is becoming increasingly difficult due to the demand for spaces.

Truthfully this kind of freedom was one of the major attractions for myself and my wife.  We recognized that some parks would likely be crowded and there would be some need to make reservations in advance... but 6 months ?  Also a RV park that is packed to the gills really isn't too appealing to me, especially if there is nothing like a line of shrubs or other divider to keep me from looking into my neighbors window. 

Can people comment?  Is it becoming less enjoyable due to overcrowding?

I really think it depends on expectations. I you believe you'll be able to just show up to a popular location, during the high season, and find a full hookup spot in an idyllic location with hardly anyone else there and tons of privacy, then you will be very disappointed. If however you accept the fact that there are millions of others out there trying to have a good trip as well, and you may have to adjust accordingly, then you'll come to find there are untold places to visit, many of which will give you the experience for which you are looking. It's really no different if you travel by car and stay in hotels - if you travel to popular locations during their high season, you'll need reservations and there will be lots of people.

Since you are talking about traveling after retirement, already one issue is resolved, scheduling. Since you'll have complete flexibility vs. those still working and only able to get out during vacations and weekends, you'll be able to schedule around the busy times.

Also, give dry camping and boondocking a lot of thought. There are many public parks (and even some private parks) which have dry camping spots available - perfectly nice spots, sometimes nicer, but no hookups. Because more and more people are looking for the convenience of hookups, these dry camping spots are often overlooked. (There is a state park in Arizona which I've been to several times that has both dry and full hookup sites, the dry sites are often wide open while the full hookup section is sold out.) Then there is boondocking, which I define as camping in a remote area without any infrastructure other than the road to get there. There are many, many places to do this, although the majority of opportunities are in the western US. The bonus is that it's either free or extremely cheap.

Since you are still shopping, I would urge you to consider equipping whatever rig you get for dry camping - add more batteries and solar, look for rigs with larger fresh water and waste tanks, etc

Truthfully this kind of freedom was one of the major attractions for myself and my wife. 

I think part of the issue is the experience the RV industry advertises will be yours to enjoy, all you have to do is plunk down the cash and next thing you know you'll be camping in the woods next to a lake all by yourself. The problem is, everyone has the same idea. That experience can be had though, it just takes some digging. And as I mentioned earlier, it's really no different than vacationing by car. While indeed things have gotten more crowded, decades ago Yosemite for example was packed with tourists during their high season, and those that didn't plan would be disappointed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:28:15 AM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

docj

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »
The problem with owning your own RV lot is you are committed to that location year after year. We really don't like going to the same place every year for vacation.

The difference for us is that we are full-time RVers, not vacationers.  We enjoy being in a warm location during the winter and don't mind sitting in place at our own site in south TX for ~5-7 months.  That still leaves us plenty of time to travel during better weather.

That having been said, I do agree with the OP that over the 8 years we have been full-timing things have become more crowded.  The good news is that there are still beautiful places to go that aren't as crowded, they might just be a bit further away.  One of our favorite spots is Prince Edward Island, a pleasant, pastoral place to spend a summer in a cool climate with wonderful people!
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »
You might also note that things aren't as crowded during the week, and even less so in April/May and Sept/Oct when so many folks have kids in school. Even Colorado state parks, which fill up on weekends (Fri/Sat nights) six months in advance, can usually have several sites available during the other five nights, without reservations.

So yeah, there are more folks out there, but there are still a lot of good experiences available, though if you want complete solitude your choices are harder to find.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »
   nonrev321,  I just recently retired and haven’t done as much (long distance travel) as we plan to do. There are times we we will have to endure crowded RV parks, high population base areas to see or do some of the things that work prevented us from doing. But, if that was all we could expect from our rv’ing experience ...we would quit. I guess “inside of every silver lining is a dark cloud”!   ;D   Our closest neighbor is about 500 yards away.... far too close! If wind direction is from the proper (wrong) direction....we can hear the occasional semi out on the road! We boondock as often as we can....grizzlies,wolves, and other assorted wildlife are generally good camping neighbors!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:14:55 AM by Memtb »
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
There is a lot of territory between boondocking in the outback and crowded full hook-ups in a tourist Mecca.  Especially if you aren't demanding great wifi, swimming pool, and movies for the [grand]kids.  And places that may be crowded or noisy on summer weekends may be blissful at other times.

For the last 10 years our standard mode of travel was to hunker down in some smaller, pleasant park Friday thru Sunday a.m. and do our travel, sight seeing, etc. Sunday a.m. thru early Friday afternoon.  One of the joys of retirement is the freedom to choose off-peak times and travel at a relaxed pace.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »
Personally, I think it's all a matter of mindset.    If you can keep an open mind and remain willing to be flexible - RVing can still be a ball.   If you're one of those folks who is a "fault finder" (parks are too cramped, neighbors are too _____ (noisy, nosy, untidy, disrespectful of "our" site boundaries - pick your favorite or add your own "issue"), traffic is too heavy, drivers around us drive too fast, too slow, etc. - and then dwell on any / every little thing that annoys you - RVing will certainly become less enjoyable.   I'll venture to add that if you're one of those folks - your life is already and will remain miserable no matter how you choose to fill your days - but that would probably be off topic. 

The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
And places that may be crowded or noisy on summer weekends may be blissful at other times.

That describes the local state park here. It fills up, or is close to full, every weekend. The weekend crowd is mostly working folks with their family and they just want to unwind, party, and have a god time before having to go hit the clock Monday morning. From about 2:00 Sunday afternoon until about 2:00 Friday afternoon, it's just about as peaceful of a place you could imagine.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Oldgator73

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »
We try to go Sunday-Thursday. Unless we have something planned with the grandkids. We went to a State Park in NY in the Catskills with no hookups. It was actually pretty nice with a nice stream right out our front door. Woodstock, NY was only a few minutes away.

winona

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 02:28:17 PM »
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.  So talking to 10 people will give you 10 different opinions.

I traveled a lot this last summer and had no problems with reservations or in parks.  Yes, some of the rv parks had neighbors close by, but I don't expect a 10 acre, totally secluded spot.  Indiana and other state parks I've been in seem to have larger spots than commercial rv parks.  It's all in what you want and where you go.  I figure it's not a permanent forever place since I still have my home, so I go with the flow.  And I'd rather see a family out camping and hiking and sightseeing together than sitting at home playing video games!
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
Personally, I think it's all a matter of mindset.    If you can keep an open mind and remain willing to be flexible - RVing can still be a ball.   

I concur. The DW and I have been RVing for 20 years now in all different kinds of RV's. IN that 20 years our style of RVing has changed too. In the beginning we wanted to be "out there" in the woods and away from everything and everyone.  Then through the years our wants and needs changed. 

Today we enjoy our amenities, most of which we bring with us. We are full time RV'ers, so we plan accordingly where we want to be, especially in the popular summer months if we want to be at a west coast beach location.  Reserve early? Absolutely.  But being retired gives us the ability to be flexible. You also need to think ahead to major holiday's if you want to be someplace popular. 

The internet makes most stuff easy these days, you just need to learn how the system works. And trying to take someone else's experiences and wants and making them your own is not a good measure of how you and your wife want to spend your retirement.

I am not telling you that the RV experience is all happy and care free. There will be challenges in any life style you choose.  But for us, the rewards and one of kind life's experiences far outweigh the occasional challenge that comes up.

The choice is yours.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
I concur. The DW and I have been RVing for 20 years now in all different kinds of RV's. IN that 20 years our style of RVing has changed too. In the beginning we wanted to be "out there" in the woods and away from everything and everyone.  Then through the years our wants and needs changed. 

Today we enjoy our amenities, most of which we bring with us. We are full time RV'ers, so we plan accordingly where we want to be, especially in the popular summer months if we want to be at a west coast beach location.  Reserve early? Absolutely.  But being retired gives us the ability to be flexible. You also need to think ahead to major holiday's if you want to be someplace popular. 

The internet makes most stuff easy these days, you just need to learn how the system works. And trying to take someone else's experiences and wants and making them your own is not a good measure of how you and your wife want to spend your retirement.

I am not telling you that the RV experience is all happy and care free. There will be challenges in any life style you choose.  But for us, the rewards and one of kind life's experiences far outweigh the occasional challenge that comes up.

The choice is yours.

Nicely said and a lot of truth. 
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
I also answered it on the other forum, and the answer is still nope. Still getting more enjoyable.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »
... And places that may be crowded or noisy on summer weekends may be blissful at other times.

For the last 10 years our standard mode of travel was to hunker down in some smaller, pleasant park Friday thru Sunday a.m. and do our travel, sight seeing, etc. Sunday a.m. thru early Friday afternoon.  One of the joys of retirement is the freedom to choose off-peak times and travel at a relaxed pace.
This is what we do too. State parks, national parks, gorgeous places Sunday night through Friday morning. Friday and Saturday night we find a traditional RV Park, go to town for groceries, do laundry, and all the other exciting tasks that aren’t easy to do in the boonies. We also tend to hit the big tourist attractions in May or September, after families with children have to be back in school. Yellowstone is so much more pleasant then than July! We do lots of dry camping during the week, but it is nice to get the hookups on the weekends.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
People who still work have limited times when they can go camping.  Retirees can work around that.  We've been RVing for about 40 years and still don't do much preplanning.  The exceptions are holiday weekends or places we need to stay for a specified time because they're near family or some event we're attending.  Other than that we've gotten to the exit of a campground and literally said "Right or left?"  We usually call a campground an hour or two in advance and seldom have had a problem.  We don't boondock in as many places as we used to because we don't feel they're as safe as earlier.  Our needs and wants have also changed through the years which determines where we stay to some extent, but we have our "house" with us and can be quite comfortable boondocking if that's all we can find.  It sounds like your friends who think it's less enjoyable are snowbirds and perhaps they want a certain type of place or want to stay with friends which can be more difficult in the season.  But for people such as ourselves who are travelers (as opposed to parkers) it isn't such a big deal.  We prefer the flexibility of changing direction or spending more/less time at a place of interest so we seldom make reservations.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »
We’ve really enjoyed being able to travel without a schedule since we retired, but our situation is a little different in that we live on 10 acres, surrounded by hundreds of acres. You can see one other dwelling from our place, and that’s if you’re on the east side of the property.  So yes, we can feel crowded, even in state parks where the sites are typically larger, and with somewhat more privacy than commercial parks. That being said, we consider our trailer our hotel room on wheels that we tow around with us. We’ll decide on a city, location, relative or other destination we want to visit, then look for a place to park our “hotel” while we are there.  We pack once, eat our own food, sleep in our own bed and have our own bathroom.  Even a crowded campground beats a hotel downtown or out on an interstate. Of course, living in Florida means we already have a warm place to spend the winter.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
Re: Truthfully
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 01:05:57 AM »
Just "Wing It" ! Expect little, Demand even less. Home.. is where the Hook Ups are... Today. Say Hi.. to a stranger. Wave at your neighbor. Bad weather (?), find the Rec room. Ask a Local... what's to see & do....

Life Is Good.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:09:09 AM by BIG JOE »
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Cat in charge.

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 06:09:24 AM »
 Why would you slap my face before making a request??  If you approached me on the street for directions,,and prefaced the question with the admonishment to be "truthful", I would tell you to stick in your ear and walk away.....
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:36 AM »
Don't take the "truthfully" thing to heart. Around here, and I'm sure other places, it's just an expression.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »
Our trips are typically one week to one month in length. Our RV stays in storage during the Michigan winters and we avoid traveling in the summer when school is out.  We have about 30 years of trips under our belts and still love our fall and spring trips..  We in general pick an area or spot we went to explore and then just go.  Very little or no reservations to tie us down to schedules.  One of the things that help make our trips fun is keeping the schedules simple and flexible.
Len & Jo
The Green TARDIS
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
The TARDIS Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRgdCTfURsg

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »
We bought our first travel trailer in 1967 while the kids were young. We have never been without an RV since except when the military sent  me overseas. Yes, sometimes it is a hassle getting a place to park but, we have always been able to find a place, maybe not in that big resort park, but we have found a place near where we wanted to be. We still find the RV the best way for us to travel. I don't like Motels and Hotels and I don't like wrestling with luggage. I have spent many a night in Motels when traveling for my military and school jobs and I really never enjoyed that. BTW, I have spent many nights in Church parking lots. I will RV as long as my health allows.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »
 My point is,,If you ask a question and don't expect a "truthful" answer,,,then whats the point??>>>Dan
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Oldgator73

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
My point is,,If you ask a question and don't expect a "truthful" answer,,,then whats the point??>>>Dan

I'm a parent and grandparent so the concept of a less than truthful answer is not outside the realm of my universe.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »
I'm getting to the age that everything is less enjoyable.  But it beats the alternative of doing nothing!
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »

It is not about expecting a truthful answer, obviously when a question is asked, the expectation and hope is a truthful answer will be given.  The point kdbgoat is making, and it is a valid one, "truthfully as was used earlier in this thread is just a common expression many people use, with no intention of disrespect or any other negative meaning attached and certainly not worth getting worked up about, life is too short to dwell on such mundane and trivial things.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:32:16 PM by Gizmo »
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »
Subjects need a "hook" to attract maximum response. I thought this was a good one.

We are enjoying our Class A so much more than the tiny Class C we had in the early '80's. I suppose a big part of that is not having to plan around working.

We first used our MH last April and have spent 42 nights in it. We used  privately owned campgrounds, State, City, and County parks, FS land, Harvest Host sites (aviation museum, winery, and goat farm), and of course Walmart and Cabela's. We have never had a problem with getting a campsite. That's not to say that we always got our first choice when trying to book the day before.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Old Radios

• ---
  • The Turtle - Our Harley Hauler
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
It's getting crowded out there...
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Custom Toad
2015 Harley Softail Deluxe Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
Quote from: kdbgoat
Don't take the "truthfully" thing to heart. Around here, ... it's just an expression.

Same in our olde country. One time, when I was under oath in a court witness box and the prosecutor asked me a question, I replied "to be honest ...". The strange look from the prosecutor and the judge made me realize what I'd just said  :-[
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:05:53 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »
It's getting crowded out there...
Gotta say, this topic is disconcerting as we just bought our first coach.
We will enjoy it even though it has lost its appeal for some.  8)
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

blw2

• ---
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
I'll admit to being in a bit of a hurry and only skimming this thread, but I find it very interesting.  I have been thinking along similar lines lately myself
just similar.

My gut tells me that it has a lot to do with the area you frequent.  Around here, it does seem to be getting very hard to get into state parks last minute.... while I can remember just a handful of years ago when only the super high demand places on the beach were like that.  Also, looking on allstays just the other day for the area we were travelling, as well as a place we were talking about maybe going in a few weeks, I notice huge areas where all the walmarts were red, not a lot of options for free boondocking. 
I figure a lot of that has to do with more an more local ordinances creeping in.
and the other...well it just seems that more folks are RVing.

That said, we are still enjoying it.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
The wilderness is still out there, just have to get off the interstate. The attached picture is from an RVer’s blog, the white dot is his rig. ‘Course, there’s no wifi or cable
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:05:28 PM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

mocotom

• ---
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »
Personally, I think it's all a matter of mindset.    If you can keep an open mind and remain willing to be flexible - RVing can still be a ball.   If you're one of those folks who is a "fault finder" (parks are too cramped, neighbors are too _____ (noisy, nosy, untidy, disrespectful of "our" site boundaries - pick your favorite or add your own "issue"), traffic is too heavy, drivers around us drive too fast, too slow, etc. - and then dwell on any / every little thing that annoys you - RVing will certainly become less enjoyable.   I'll venture to add that if you're one of those folks - your life is already and will remain miserable no matter how you choose to fill your days - but that would probably be off topic.

What he said :))
USMC 1968-1972
2004 Coachman Santara 3480DS class A
8.1 Workhorse chassis

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 07:14:31 PM »
 Another situation to be considered is the RV rental/sales/tour companies and caravan companies are reserving whole blocks of time at various high-use venues. They do this well in advance of the seasons before they actually need them just to be covered (they can cancel last minute with no penalty),, but if you try to reserve during that time period you will find it booked up.>>>Dan
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
      Albert Einstein.

Al Juby

• ---
  • Al & Kathy
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 05:25:56 AM »
I've found that the more times I repeat something the less enjoyable I find it. That's why I travel. To see new places. Do new things. It seems that I don't notice the little annoying things about something until I have done them several times. The roads closest to home are always the longest.
99 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
2005 CR-V
Lyman S.C.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Franklin P. Jones

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
Same in our olde country. One time, when I was under oath in a court witness box and the prosecutor asked me a question, I replied "to be honest ...". The strange look from the prosecutor and the judge made me realize what I'd just said  :-[
Reminds me of the TV show LIVE PD that is currently on TV two nights a week.  The cops will tell you that such statements make them dig even deeper. Such things as "I swear" or "I only had one drink" are like red lights.  But I can see your point in that being sworn to oath in court to say "to be honest" would get a few stares..........lol

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

Oldgator73

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
Anytime the grandkids say "I promise I didn't do it" that just about guarantees they did it.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
As was mentioned earlier on, we "vacationers" are different from the full timers in that we have limited time and miles we can travel. For this reason, we have to plan up to a year ahead in many cases (9 months for our state parks here in NY). I do find this to be a pain the butt sometimes but on the other hand, as the cold weather approaches, it gives us the excuse to get together with friends to make plans and puts us in the mood for next year's camping excursions! We already have all of the holiday weekends for 2018 planned along with a couple of other random weekends here and there.

As far as being more crowded, it all depends. We do full hook up most of the time but also a few electric-only weekends. The campgrounds we typically go to range from packed in to lots of space. We have had good times/neighbors and some not so good times/neighbors in all types of campgrounds over the years.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch