EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 747 times)

ClickHill

• ---
Batteries
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
I know this has been discussed 1000 times so whats 1001?  I have to replace my chassis batteries on our 2015 Itasca Meridian (group 31) and I don't know if regular deep cycle or AGM would be best.
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Merdian
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
Pretty much boils down to whether you want to spend the extra money to not have to add water to your batteries. Terminal maintenance will be the same.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
For your chassis batteries, it's a cranking type, not a deep cycle, so the decision is less critical. A good quality maintenance-free wet cell works fine and probably lasts several years if the charge is maintained during non-use periods.

Or did you mean to say house batteries?  For help on a house battery decision, see my article on RV Battery Choices in the RVForum Library at Choosing a battery
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
From the Library of articles on this forum here is all the info you will ever want on the subject http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/39-batteries-and-dc-12v-stuff
Also clicking on the search button will return loads of discussion on the pros & cons of each type battery.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
Gary - So I don't need deep cycle for the chassis batteries, just two regular batteries as long as they are group 31 so they have the correct CCA?
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
Correct. A true deep cycle will have a lower CCA rating than a similar size cranking battery, so deep cycle is neither necessary nor desirable to crank the engine. An AGM cranking battery may have some slight benefits over a maintenance free sealed battery, but it's not worth paying a lot extra or getting less CCA.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
Thank you!  I appreciate your experience and wisdom.
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
Chassis batteries start the motor, just like in a car.  They need HIGH output for a SHORT time - 5 or 10 seconds.  The fact it is in an RV does not change this.

House batteries run lots of relative LOW amp stuff for a LONG time - hours.  Deep cycle.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS 
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:09:30 PM »
AGM can be mounted any side up. They also cost more

So if you are mounting them "This Side Up" I would got with "Regular Golf Car Type Deep Cycle (GC-2 Six Volt pairs for a fraction of the cost of AGM)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »
John, you misread what the OP posted, as did I. He's asking about chassis batteries, not house batteries.
Gary, Gizmo, and the Preacher pretty well covered his issue.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

phil-t

• ---
  • Here For The Duration
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
I've owned this 2010 Winnie Vista 32k since July this year.  We have made a couple decent trips this summer and fall - about 2600 miles worth; with some pretty cool weather mixed into the last trip.
I believe the 2 house batteries are original (12v NAPA DP Marines), as well as the 1 chassis battery.  Anyways testing with a hydrometer 4 hours after charging, no cables attached, shows 2 low, or dead cells and the rest are marginally good.
My question(s) - I have room for 4 GC2 6V (Trojan T125s) for the house and a regular 12v chassis replacement.  IF, I can pack the GC2s tight to one another.  Is that an OK scenario for batteries?
And, thinking about changing out the stock Schumacher SARVC55 (which I believe is just a single stage charger) with something better.  (No inverter)  Any recommendations for that?
Possibly adding some solar in the next year or two.

Thanks.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »
My question(s) - I have room for 4 GC2 6V (Trojan T125s) for the house and a regular 12v chassis replacement.  IF, I can pack the GC2s tight to one another.  Is that an OK scenario for batteries?

No problem. Most multiple battery installations pack 'em right next to each other.

Here is one article/suggestion for upgrading the Schumacher:
http://www.bestconverter.com/Schumacher-Converter-Upgrade_ep_23-1.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:04:57 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

phil-t

• ---
  • Here For The Duration
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
Thanks for the info - I have looked at the info on the Boondocker converter.  Motorhome is in the garage for the winter and I will be doing the batteries and converter before our first outing in the spring.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
For general use with little or no boon docking - almost always have shore power - you do not need that much battery power.  HOWEVER, since you do plan to boon dock, it is a great plan.  (For future readers)
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS 
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

NewmanRacing

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »
Gary - So I don't need deep cycle for the chassis batteries, just two regular batteries as long as they are group 31 so they have the correct CCA?

I believe ClickHill is describing the house batteries as the chassis battery. How many rigs have 2 chassis batteries?

John, you misread what the OP posted, as did I. He's asking about chassis batteries, not house batteries.
Gary, Gizmo, and the Preacher pretty well covered his issue.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I know this has been discussed 1000 times so whats 1001?  I have to replace my chassis batteries on our 2015 Itasca Meridian (group 31) and I don't know if regular deep cycle or AGM would be best.

Me thinks the original post also describes the chassis battery as plural.
1993 Fleetwood G30 21' Jamboree
1976 Dodge Class C - Deceased
1969 Starcraft Starcruiser- Deceased

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. "

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
How many rigs have 2 chassis batteries?

Most diesel rigs (the Meridian is a diesel) have two chassis batteries. Certainly my Beaver did and my Ventana does.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
As does mine.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »
Yes, Freightliner chassis come with 2 1050 CCA group 31 maintenance free batteries.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
Chassis.. Standard batteries either Flooded wet or Maintenane free. AGM is a waste of money

House. DEEP CYCLE  not MARINE/deep cycle but true Deep cycle   AGM is a waste of money

NOTE AGM can be any of the three types. Starting MARINE/deep cycle  or DEEP CYCLE but is always a waste of money save for some places where it is the only choice.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Journey

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 10:51:17 PM »
  Seems to be that AGM is a waste of money. I was thinking of purchasing them next time. Ill think again. Also seems that 2015 batteries should still be in good shape unless they were discharged for  several months.   
2004 Journey 36G
1995 Jeep Wrangler

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 07:15:10 AM »
I was talking about my house batteries.  They were group 31 AGM and yes 2015 AGM batteries should still be good, although they were actually 2014 batteries.  The rest of the story - I replaced all 8 batteries (both chassis and all 6 house).  Now why? I removed all 8 batteries and took them to the shop to have them tested.  Both chassis batteries tested at 12.2v but only 50% of their CCA.  5 of my house batteries also tested at 12.2v and one tested at 10.7v.  Hmmmm?  Two days later after spending a couple thousand dollars to replace all 8 batteries, all 8 batteries are back down to 12.2v - Urrrrgh.  Now I get in to the Magnum 2800 inverter/charger and what I find sucks but it is what it is.  The original ME-MR inverter controller that came on the bus from Winnebago from the factory had an old FIRMware version that was not compatible with the inverter.  This was a VERY well known issue to both Winnebago and Magnum.  Two years ago the unit was taken to Camping World of Raleigh for this problem and under warranty they replaced the ME-MR with a MM-RC. After several hours of testing yesterday and working with Tech Support from Magnum/Precision Circuits over the phone (Anthony is awesome!) we discovered the MM-RC that Camping World installed was a VERY old controller (over 10 years old) and of course had the old FIRMware that is incompatible with the inverter which over the past two years ruined all 8 of my batteries.  Winnebago won't provide a new controller because the replacement was done by Camping World of Raleigh.  Camping World won't replace the controller because Winnebago approved the warranty work.  Magnum/Precision Circuits won't replace the controller because it is over 10 years old even though it is on a 2015.  I ordered a new FIRMEware compatible ME-RC yesterday from Amazon for $151 and tomorrow when it arrives this issue will be resolved.  As for the over $2000 I had to spend to replace three year old batteries - well that part sucks the worst and it was a direct result of first the ME-MR controller that the bus came with and the over 10 year old lesser controller installed two years ago under warranty by Camping World.  I have attached a photo of the MM-RC that Camping World installed - it doesn't even fit the opening.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:18:41 AM by ClickHill »
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »
It's nothing but personal preference, but I vehemently disagree that AGM batteries are a waste of money - especially as House batteries. We're on our third Class A in 23 years, and our current coach is the first with AGMs. Literally zero maintenance, very predictable behavior, faster charging, longest lived RV batteries we've ever had and I've never once needed to equalize them. Those are all "real life" benefits that we've experienced - not just read about.

Our coach has eight AGM house batteries and two 1150 CCA chassis batteries, and they're all mounted upright, but AGMs can be mounted in any position. That, and the fact that AGMs can be installed in closed compartments with other electrical components are other benefits.

They're definitely more expensive than standard lead/acid batteries (by 2 - 3 times) and to get the most power and life out of them, a charger with AGM settings should be used, but in my subjective opinion, they're well worth the extra cost.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Hosted by Over The Network