Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

I know this has been discussed 1000 times so whats 1001?  I have to replace my chassis batteries on our 2015 Itasca Meridian (group 31) and I don't know if regular deep cycle or AGM would be best.

Pretty much boils down to whether you want to spend the extra money to not have to add water to your batteries. Terminal maintenance will be the same.

For your chassis batteries, it's a cranking type, not a deep cycle, so the decision is less critical. A good quality maintenance-free wet cell works fine and probably lasts several years if the charge is maintained during non-use periods.

Or did you mean to say house batteries?  For help on a house battery decision, see my article on RV Battery Choices in the RVForum Library at Choosing a battery

From the Library of articles on this forum here is all the info you will ever want on the subject http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/39-batteries-and-dc-12v-stuff
Also clicking on the search button will return loads of discussion on the pros & cons of each type battery.

Gary - So I don't need deep cycle for the chassis batteries, just two regular batteries as long as they are group 31 so they have the correct CCA?

Correct. A true deep cycle will have a lower CCA rating than a similar size cranking battery, so deep cycle is neither necessary nor desirable to crank the engine. An AGM cranking battery may have some slight benefits over a maintenance free sealed battery, but it's not worth paying a lot extra or getting less CCA.

Chassis batteries start the motor, just like in a car.  They need HIGH output for a SHORT time - 5 or 10 seconds.  The fact it is in an RV does not change this.

House batteries run lots of relative LOW amp stuff for a LONG time - hours.  Deep cycle.

AGM can be mounted any side up. They also cost more

So if you are mounting them "This Side Up" I would got with "Regular Golf Car Type Deep Cycle (GC-2 Six Volt pairs for a fraction of the cost of AGM)

John, you misread what the OP posted, as did I. He's asking about chassis batteries, not house batteries.
Gary, Gizmo, and the Preacher pretty well covered his issue.

I've owned this 2010 Winnie Vista 32k since July this year.  We have made a couple decent trips this summer and fall - about 2600 miles worth; with some pretty cool weather mixed into the last trip.
I believe the 2 house batteries are original (12v NAPA DP Marines), as well as the 1 chassis battery.  Anyways testing with a hydrometer 4 hours after charging, no cables attached, shows 2 low, or dead cells and the rest are marginally good.
My question(s) - I have room for 4 GC2 6V (Trojan T125s) for the house and a regular 12v chassis replacement.  IF, I can pack the GC2s tight to one another.  Is that an OK scenario for batteries?
And, thinking about changing out the stock Schumacher SARVC55 (which I believe is just a single stage charger) with something better.  (No inverter)  Any recommendations for that?
Possibly adding some solar in the next year or two.

Thanks.

My question(s) - I have room for 4 GC2 6V (Trojan T125s) for the house and a regular 12v chassis replacement.  IF, I can pack the GC2s tight to one another.  Is that an OK scenario for batteries?

No problem. Most multiple battery installations pack 'em right next to each other.

Here is one article/suggestion for upgrading the Schumacher:
http://www.bestconverter.com/Schumacher-Converter-Upgrade_ep_23-1.html

Thanks for the info - I have looked at the info on the Boondocker converter.  Motorhome is in the garage for the winter and I will be doing the batteries and converter before our first outing in the spring.

For general use with little or no boon docking - almost always have shore power - you do not need that much battery power.  HOWEVER, since you do plan to boon dock, it is a great plan.  (For future readers)

ClickHill said:
Gary - So I don't need deep cycle for the chassis batteries, just two regular batteries as long as they are group 31 so they have the correct CCA?

I believe ClickHill is describing the house batteries as the chassis battery. How many rigs have 2 chassis batteries?

kdbgoat said:
John, you misread what the OP posted, as did I. He's asking about chassis batteries, not house batteries.
Gary, Gizmo, and the Preacher pretty well covered his issue.

?I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.?

ClickHill said:
I know this has been discussed 1000 times so whats 1001?  I have to replace my chassis batteries on our 2015 Itasca Meridian (group 31) and I don't know if regular deep cycle or AGM would be best.

Me thinks the original post also describes the chassis battery as plural.

Yes, Freightliner chassis come with 2 1050 CCA group 31 maintenance free batteries.

Chassis.. Standard batteries either Flooded wet or Maintenane free. AGM is a waste of money

House. DEEP CYCLE  not MARINE/deep cycle but true Deep cycle  AGM is a waste of money

NOTE AGM can be any of the three types. Starting MARINE/deep cycle  or DEEP CYCLE but is always a waste of money save for some places where it is the only choice.

Seems to be that AGM is a waste of money. I was thinking of purchasing them next time. Ill think again. Also seems that 2015 batteries should still be in good shape unless they were discharged for  several months.   

Back
Top Bottom