RV light fixtures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My FW has a table lamp that plugs into 120V.  That is an obvious exception.  Lights under microwave, same deal.  Otherwise, yes, 12VDC.

HappyWanderer said:
Our fifth wheel had a 110 volt light fixture over the dinette.

My 1st 5vr had one 110 volt light above the couch. The one we have now doesn't have any.

I'll go with the "generally yes" answer, but as you can see there are exceptions. Without specifying a particular year/make/model, nobody can give you a very precise answer.

FWIW, Beavers built by SMC in the 1999-2001 period must have been unique in that they have 120V lighting wired throughout the coach.  The only 12V lights we have are "pucks" under the cabinets and the basic small fluorescents in the ceiling.  Our principal lighting consists of 120V wall sconces in both the main area and the bedroom.  In addition we have a 48" standard recessed fluorescent fixture in the kitchen area and a standard dining area fixture in the eating area.  Of course, we also have a multitude of outlets throughout.

It's a matter of physics, but even with LEDs, 120V lighting fixtures can provide a lot more light than do 12V ones.  We're running 100 watt-equivalent LEDs with dimmers in our wall sconces and that allows us to achieve lighting levels much more comparable to a home environment than you can find in most RVs.  In addition I have installed under-cabinet lighting throughout.

I'm not "bragging" about the lighting, just pointing out that it can be done, but wasn't something most manufacturers appear to have ever tried.  Our MH came with an inverter as OEM so that the lighting was available regardless of whether or not you had hookups.  It's a nice arrangement; we're glad to have it.  When we go into our friends' RVs they seem dark inside by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom