Tracphone no longer free to calling Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hfx_Cdn

We hit Florida last week, including a new Canadian Cell, but I wanted to set up the Tracfone for DW, to be able to call me.  I have always had our kids and a few others on a contact list, which dialed the 1-800 number to reach the Canadian phone numbers.  After being unable to set up the new cell, I called Tracfone and after escalating it to a supervisor, and having her review several behind the scene enquiries, I was told that about 5 months ago they changed the plan to require additional fees to call Canada.
    All that to say, Tracfone is no longer a cheap or viable option for Canadian RVrs since it can longer be used to call friends or family in Canada.  I will be dropping over 5,000 minutes when the time expires, but I have no intention of retaining the phone, and suggest any Canadians intending snowbirding make alternate arrangements.

Ed

If you make enough US calls to justify keeping the phone, then assuming you have an Internet WiFi connection of some sort available, just add a VOIP app like Google Talk that has free calling to Canada. You'll need a Google phone number if you don't already have one, but that's free as well on your Google account. We call several of our Canadian friends using a VOIP app.

I had no problems getting the 1-888 numbers once I finally had a knowledgeable rep on the line. I did this for 4 Canadian numbers about 3 weeks ago. So, it is still available as far as I know.

Interesting!!! I still plan on keeping our Tracphone as a pay-as-you-go mobile but we have used magicJack (VOIP) for years (since before Google Talk became available) for all our long distance needs. Our home number in Montreal is call forwarded to USA via a local Montreal  magicJack number thus avoiding long distance charges for the kids when they call us and that includes any other Montrealer's (like the aluminum window salesmen!!). We did like the 1-800 Tracphone feature and have used it in the past. The magicJack app, available for mobile phones and pads, can be used with any internet access (including WiFi), when available, as well.

Thanks for the heads-up on Tracphone Ed!!! We will check further on arrival after our arrival in Jan especially to see if Google Talk can replace magicJack which costs!!

On edit: It appears at first look that Google cannot/does not replace magicJack as we use it. We have 2, 1 with a Montreal number and one with a Naples FL number for use when Naples locals wish to reach us.

If I understand it correctly, you need to buy a $10 international card (no indication if this is one time or annual) and it will be 14.4 cents per minute.  I was told they made the change, and never notified users.  I have tried the old 1-800 number and those set up on my contact list, to no avail.
    What annoys is no advance warning or notification.  I found out when I tried to input my new iPhone into the Tracfone so that DW could call me if she needed anything when she was not home, where we too use a Majic Jack.
    All I know is that everytime I need to deal with Tracfone, it is extremely painful.  Their call centers use poor equipment and I have difficulty understanding their poor english, they really never know anything and make you wait while they look it up, and they have no authority to fix or change anything.  I'm done with my Tracfone after about 15 years of use.

Ed

Ed

Tracfone International Card

"Expires 30 days after your Last Day of Service or 180 days after last use."

This said, it appears that it simply follows whatever service period you are subscribed to on your regular service: 1 year, 90 days etc. and eats away the minutes available, of course. It does not add any minutes to your time available.

We always run out of days first and end up accumulating large amounts of minutes being carried over which will likely never be used. I don't know why I keep the number active during the time I am not there other than to avoid adding a sim card after last day expiry, which turned out to be a PITA in the past. I have used it during short trips out of season and loaned it to the kids while they have been traveling stateside though. Purchasing time/days while not in range of their towers works paper-wise but is also a PITA to get it to show up on the phone afterwards (naturally) by going through Customer-NonService.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    I'm done with my Tracfone after about 15 years of use.

Ed

When you rule out Tracfone, don't forget to rule out NET10, SafeLink, Straight Talk, Total Wireless, SIMPLE Mobile, Telcel Am?rica, Page Plus, GoSmart Mobile, and Walmart Family Mobile as well. They're all Tracfone Wireless/Am?rica M?vil brands.

You guys need to be checking out the "Frequent Numbers" option. That is where I got the free 1-888- numbers for my calling to Canada numbers including the Telus phone beside me here in Az.  Read the 'Frequently Asked Questions' and you will see that you do not need the $10 International Calling option to call Canada or to set up these 1-888- numbers. I do the 365 day BYO phone plan to keep the same US number year after year.

Roy, that is how I found out it is no longer free, I tried to add a new Canadian number and couldn't, I spent an hour with their tech support, then was told that it all changed about 5 to 6 months ago.  My existing contact list with 1-888 all won't work, if yours does, keep quiet about it, but I assume it will catch up with you.

Ed

A few years back someone gave me a phone number for Tracfone support that didn't go to the "read from script" customer service.  I just checked the website and this still is a different phone number.  Send me a PM is want the number.

Shelia

Thanks Jeff, but as I said,I am done with them, it just is not worth the hassle, so I am using the power of the consumer and going elswhere.  The wouldn't even give me an email address to send my concerns to senior management, only another phone number and I have been down that road one too many times.  The are not an honourable company to deal with.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Roy, that is how I found out it is no longer free, I tried to add a new Canadian number and couldn't, I spent an hour with their tech support, then was told that it all changed about 5 to 6 months ago.  My existing contact list with 1-888 all won't work, if yours does, keep quiet about it, but I assume it will catch up with you.

Ed

Ed, as I said, I just did the Frequent #s 3-4 weeks ago. But, the other thing is that you can still call Canada by phoning the access number as per the current quote below. You do not need the $10 International calling service add-on. You are still using your talk minutes as always but, no additional charges.

"Can I dial the international destination number directly or do I need to ...
TracFone Frequent Numbers is a FREE service we offer, which provides you up to ten 1-800 numbers you can assign to your most dialed international phone numbers, avoiding the need to dial the TRACFONE International Long Distance access number. In addition, you may save the Frequent Numbers on your phone book, using the speed dial feature of your phone to reach family and friends in other countries. Please refer to the TracFone Frequent Numbers section for more information. If you choose not to use our FREE TracFone Frequent Numbers service, then you need to dial the access number for TRACFONE International Long Distance first: 305-938-5673 (From Alaska, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands please dial 305-938-5673). You will then be prompted to select your language and dial 011 plus the country code, city code, and phone number. (For Canada just dial: 1 + city code + phone number)."

Roy, I'm glad it works for you but it doesn't for me.  Even after an hour on the phone with their support supervisor, who was the one who told me the policy changed 5 to 6 months ago.  My programmed frequent numbers and the 1-800 all say "insufficient funds"  Enjoy yours until they catch up to you.

Ed

For all you Canadian snowbirds/travellers to USA check out Roam Mobility it is a Canadian company purchase plans in Canadian dollars. All you need is to have your cell unlocked  which is now free from your Canadian supplier pick up a sim card from Staples for example pop it in and away you go. Unlimted texts and call in USA and Canada you can also get unlimited data. Check them out online. Hope this helpsl safe travels

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom