Crossing into Canada with DUI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arbys

Has anyone had any experience crossing the border from the USA into Canada with a DUI on their record?  I have one (0.082... yes, I'm guilty, I made a bad decision) and I've read this can be an issue when entering Canada. I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I've never had a DUI, but I don't recall them asking the question when we entered Canada. Maybe they have access to US DMV databases?

They run your plate number. I had one of those car guards on my tow bar and apparently they could not see my plate. I had to show a picture of the plate or give the something with plate number on it. On the caravan I was on to Alaska we were told if you had dui you would not be permitted to cross.

DUI is a felony in Canada, and they take it seriously. I am a canoeist, and I know people who could not go to Canada for canoeing due to a DUI. There is a way to get yourself allowed in if it has been a long time (10years IIRC) and you have been shown rehabilitated, but it is paperwork and there is no guarantee it will work. There is information on a Canadian Government website that I have seen with details. And my friends were told that Canada did have access to US criminal records.

I think you can buy your way in by paying a fee,I have been told. No personel expeirence. Think some states have reciprocipy ( sp ?) On licence believe NY does.

Based on DUI being a felony in Canada and entry for those with a DUI is denied, would any felony result in entry denial? And what crimes, other than DUI, are considered felonies in Canada and not in the US?

Oldgator73 said:
Based on DUI being a felony in Canada and entry for those with a DUI is denied, would any felony result in entry denial? And what crimes, other than DUI, are considered felonies in Canada and not in the US?

Just found the answer to this:

So who exactly is not permitted to enter Canada? The Immigration Act may deny admission to anyone recently convicted of driving while intoxicated (D.W.I.) or driving under the influence (D.U.I.), both of which may be considered an indictable offense in Canada (similar to a felony in U.S.A.) and punishable by a term of imprisonment for up to five years. Other criminal offenses that can cause someone to be denied entry to Canada include theft, assault, reckless driving, possession of stolen property, shoplifting, fraud, driving while license suspended, extortion, battery, domestic violence, misdemeanor drug possession, and any felony such as breaking and entering or armed robbery. White collar crimes can also affect a foreign national's Canadian excludability. Some people may need the services of a qualified immigration professional to determine if they can legally enter Canada. Other people may already know that they criminally inadmissible but require help from an attorney to come up with a workable plan for how to cross the Canadian border successfully. A criminal conviction does not necessarily mean a person cannot enter Canada ever again; it simply means they may require special permission to enter and therefore should prepare an acceptable application before visiting. Canada Temporary Resident Permit eligibility requirements and document requirements have recently changed. This is one of the many reasons it may be important to work with an immigration lawyer familiar with the 2018 Canada DUI Entry rules (as well as any scheduled Canada DWI entry 2019 or 2020 changes).

I worked for a company years ago and had to go into Canada for work. We got to the border and one of my coworkers was denied entry because of a DWI conviction over 40 years earlier when he was just out of high school. We entered Canada and he had to wait for another company vehicle to come and pick him up.

Also be aware that if a person who is not a citizen commits a felony, known here as an indictable offence, leaves the country he/she will not be allowed to return. My bil has a minor drug possession on his record from the early 70's, he is not even allowed to be on a flight that lands in the U.S to refuel.

it's a big country with lots of ways to just walk in or just step off of a boat on to Canada soil.

There is even one U.S. state that is only land accessible by going into Canada and back out.  Are there no Alaskans that ever got a DUI ?

My daughter lives in Canada and we visit every year.  In 10 years we have never been asked the question and we have never had a DUI.

Bill

The DWI show on your drivers lic when you try to enter Canada.  I have had people tell they were denied access even tho the DWI was 25 years ago.  I looked into getting a remote access pass and the 1st question they asked was where I lived.  It seems so many people from Hibbing Mn have had DWIs that they refuse to give remote passes.

[quote author=kjansen]The DWI show on your drivers lic when you try to enter Canada.[/quote]

That makes sense, and explains why most of us have never been asked.

Last summer I went to Canada for the first time in many years.  They asked for my drivers lic and after reviewing the information asked me to pull ahead for an inspection which I thought might happen due to pulling th 5W.  Two officers asked if I had a safe onboard and then wanted to look inside of it.  It was empty, but from that point, it was a 15 minute discussion on guns which I had none knowing the rules of bringing guns across the border.  As it turns out, my name brought up the fact that 25 years ago I went goose hunting by Winnipeg. They now know that I own guns and wanted to make sure I didn't have any along.

You may not be asked on the primary inspection but if you become a 'chosen one' for secondary, chances are good you will be asked about criminal charges, maybe your drivers license, etc. I have never been asked for my drivers license, just my passport, on primary when returning to Canada or going to USA.

What all will they do if an American is caught in Canada illegally ?    They just let all the draft dodgers in and that was a felony wasn't it? 

TonyDtorch said:
What all will they do if an American is caught in Canada illegally ?    They just let all the draft dodgers in and that was a felony wasn't it?
Not so much what they will do - more what they can do.  Detainment, confiscation, disassembly of your vehicle, etc.  Try it in a boat some time.  There are horror stories, going both directions.  I hate the thought of being subjected to Customs (Canadian or US)' arbitrary rules at the border.  They have absolute power.  I live on the border and have not been to Canada since 911 and all the security whoopla.  Too bad, going to and coming from Canada used to be nothing more than driving down the road.  I can even remember when the Canadian Customs entry was not even manned!  All they have dome with all the security and spend tax payers money and cause the general public greif.  That's just my opinion.

kjansen said:
The DWI show on your drivers lic when you try to enter Canada.  es.

Have never shown drivers license - only passport and dog vaccination papers.  Answered question about where going and reason for visit.  Their plate reader no doubt reads the plate for state.  Have no doubt about DUI being illegal to enter but have never encountered any questions regarding it and have never seen the agent do any extensive computer searching - just a couple of questions and wave through.  Always enter through Blue Water Bridge at Port Huron, Mi.

Back
Top Bottom