Crossing into Canada with DUI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In order to be barred from entry into Canada the offence on your record has to equal an offence in Canada.  If the offence in the USA is not an offence in Canada you can enter, which is why draft dodgers were allowed entry into Canada.

My friend went to Canada last summer and I happen to know he does have one DUI on his record.

They did ask him to get out of the camper van while they did a walk though, transferred him to their office, awhile later, they returned his paperwork and keys, allowing him into Canada. He was pleasant about it all, and says they were fairly pleasant about it too. He didn't see anything disturbed in his rig, wonders if they were just curious or what.

He was using the same driver license from the same state where he earned his DUI. I will have to ask him if it has been 10 years or not. I recall when it happened, just not how many years ago.

He is 70 with long hair and a ponytail.

I wish America's borders were as well controlled as Canada's..

TonyDtorch said:
I wish America's borders were as well controlled as Canada's..

Believe it or not Tony, more than a few foreigners are crossing into Canada via Minnesota and North Dakota border - not at the legal crossings but just by walking over.  Surprising is that Canadian government is not all that happy about it.  Gee whiz.

Bill

The big difference....

In Canada if they catch you there illegally,  you will be deported.       

In California...... you are given a drivers license. 

8)

This is off topic and has been covered in a previous string.  However, my limited understanding of the law is that if they show up at a border crossing and ask for asylum Canadian law says that since the US is a trusted partner, they by definition cannot be a refugee.  However, if they make it across the border, then show up at any border services office, they will be considered for entry.  So, there have been a significant number of previously legal American residents, who came under non immigrant type entries, for example Haitians, or Nicaraguans, etc, who are under threat of deportation who are heading north. 

Ed

I believe Alec Baldwin is now living there as a refugee.....    ;)

sorry,  It was meant as humor.

and all good humor has foundation of truth.

Hfx_Cdn said:
This is off topic and has been covered in a previous string.  However, my limited understanding of the law is that if they show up at a border crossing and ask for asylum Canadian law says that since the US is a trusted partner, they by definition cannot be a refugee.  However, if they make it across the border, then show up at any border services office, they will be considered for entry.  So, there have been a significant number of previously legal American residents, who came under non immigrant type entries, for example Haitians, or Nicaraguans, etc, who are under threat of deportation who are heading north. 

Ed

You said it much better than I did Ed.  It is the non-immigrant types you mention who were previously on temporary legal visas because of natural disasters in their country (Haiti) or for other reasons.  Since they walk across the border and avoid border stations I always wondered why they did just not present themselves at a border station as a refugee.  Your post answered that.

Bill

Yeah, no excuses, sometimes I just need to lighten up. It's not like there wasn't a wink added there. I'm sure my humor doesn't get taken as humor at times.

Bill I am sure that an immigration lawyer could provide a legalese explanation, but I have read that is the gist of it.  However, with all that is being reviewed and negotiated between our 2 countries, who know what will be the laws tomorrow.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
Bill I am sure that an immigration lawyer could provide a legalese explanation, but I have read that is the gist of it.  However, with all that is being reviewed and negotiated between our 2 countries, who know what will be the laws tomorrow.

Ed
What makes me smile Ed is that our daughter now lives in Canada and even stayed there despite getting a divorce but she now tells us what an odd country the USA is...............lol

New to the conversation here, but we are headed up to Niagara Falls for a quick day visit in a little over a week from now.  We've never been to Canada, so we thought it would be a way to drive over (without our travel trailer), spend a day, and drive back to our camp and then do some other things.  16 years ago I got a DUI that was knocked down to a Public Intoxication. 

Before we go is there someone to call at the border or near the border to check ahead of time if it is going to be a problem to cross?  Has anyone done this before?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom