Crossing into Canada with DUI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/

Unfortunately, getting into Canada with a DUI is not as simple as showing up at the border with a valid United States passport. If you have ever been arrested or convicted for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, regardless of whether it was a misdemeanor or felony offense, you may be criminally inadmissible to Canada and denied entry. Regardless of whether or not you have any intention to drive while in the country, a DUI (including civil infractions and "Actual Physical Control DUI" violations) can cause you to get turned away at the border and can impede your eligibility across all Canadian immigration programs.

Google Search.

kyteacher said:
  16 years ago I got a DUI that was knocked down to a Public Intoxication. 

Before we go is there someone to call at the border or near the border to check ahead of time if it is going to be a problem to cross?  Has anyone done this before?

If it was knocked down from a DUI, I would think you'd be OK. Do you have any documentation that would relate to that which you could bring with you? It may help.

For what it is worth, the US has similar laws.  An acquaintance went to a wedding in Manitoba in the 1970's when he was in his 20's.  $ of them were partying and decided to cross into North Dakota, he was Not driving, but they were denied entry into the US for being inebriated.  About 5 years ago, he was coming from Ontario to his park model in Florida, and was denied entry because of that previous occurrence.  It put him in a bad situation, so he waited a few days, went to another border crossing and had no problem getting in, nor has he since.  Go figure, it goes to show how much depends on the individual border guard.

Update:  We just got home from our weeks trip up north.  I had no problem getting into Canada.  A whole bunch of worry here for nothing.  We had a great time at Niagara Falls and my 2 girls got to experience Canada for the first time. 

I'm just saying that the individual customs/border agents have way too much individual power, based on their "feelings".  Been there, live on the Canadian border, and done that, more than once.  That's all, it's just my opinion.  And that's MY big problem with border crossings, no real "rules".  When it comes right down to it an agent can deny you entry based on his/her feelings, at the time, and you have no recourse at that time.

phil-t said:
When it comes right down to it an agent can deny you entry based on his/her feelings, at the time, and you have no recourse at that time.

I guess you'd have to wait for shift change, HuH?  ;D :D ;) :))

Articles hit the papers on both sides of the border this week.  A 19 year old female resident of France was visiting her mother who lives in BC, and she went for a jog.  Unintentionally she crossed the border along the beach, she realized her mistake, turned around and was almost back into Canada.  However, 2 US border guards stopped her just before she crossed and she was placed in custody, transported about 200 miles away, and detained for over 2 weeks.  So, yes, border guards have way too much ability to arbitrarily decide the fate of people who are at the border.

Ed

Hey, she got off easy.  A former US Marine took a wrong turn into Mexico and was stopped at the border where he was trying to turn around.  A pistol (as I recall) was in his vehicle. It took a couple of years to get him out.  Not much help from our government either.

I have made the crossing many times over the 50 years of traveling,, only since I received a concealed carry many years ago have I been systematically searched going north.>>>Dan

TonyDtorch said:
it's a big country with lots of ways to just walk in or just step off of a boat on to Canada soil.

There is even one U.S. state that is only land accessible by going into Canada and back out.  Are there no Alaskans that ever got a DUI ?
They probably take the ferry down to Washington, or Oregon.

TonyDtorch said:
What all will they do if an American is caught in Canada illegally ?    They just let all the draft dodgers in and that was a felony wasn't it?
But none of the immigrants to Canada to avoid service was ever convicted of any crime before going to Canada as a matter of Conscience  As I remember the time the phrase was America love it or leave it. They made a choice that affected the rest of their lives. I applaud their courage and conviction. It is hard to go against the majority for a belief.

darsben said:
  They made a choice that affected the rest of their lives. I applaud their courage and conviction. It is hard to go against the majority for a belief.

I don't applaud them for anything.  Too many seem to think you live in this country and get to pick and choose what you want to do and what you don't want to do.  In a majority of cases that is very true but freedom isn't free and service to your country was required by the laws of the time.  The draft law was being enforced at the time and they sought to evade it.  I will be blunt - it was the cowards that fled and the heroes that served.

Bill

Well Bill we accepted them, and most of those that stayed have become exceptional citizens.  Your loss was our gain, and we do not consider them as cowards.  Obviously subsequent government thought differently as well, since they offered amnesty to those wishing to return, it is those who found ways to illegally avoid the draft were the real cowards.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    it is those who found ways to illegally avoid the draft were the real cowards.

Ed
Running to Canada to avoid the draft was illegal...

many of us that served during Vietnam didn't agree with it but we did what our country asked us to do.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Well Bill we accepted them, and most of those that stayed have become exceptional citizens.  Your loss was our gain, and we do not consider them as cowards.  Obviously subsequent government thought differently as well, since they offered amnesty to those wishing to return, it is those who found ways to illegally avoid the draft were the real cowards.

Ed
You don't consider fleeing to another country to be illegally avoiding the draft?  I am glad you gained those folks and are happy for those that stayed.  The President offered the amnesty just to put the whole issue behind us and not tie up the courts for years.

Bill

Roy M said:
I agree but we are starting to tread on shaky ground here. Let's keep politics out of this and stay civil.
If anything this is NOT politics. It is how humans react when faced with a put up or shut up moment.  By shutting up I mean chose to leave it to others to do their duty and take the risks.  Nothing political about that.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom