Reverse osmosis system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drv

Hello, I have a 1998 king of the road fifth wheel and I'd like to install an under the sink reverse osmosis system. Has anyone tried this/can it be done?

Here's the model I'm looking at on Amazon: iSpring RCC7 WQA Gold Seal Certified 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System - 75 GPD

Thank you for the help.

Why?  The best system for the money is probably a Kinetico.  But any RO syatem requires a constant supply of water, plus a storage tank.  Do you actually h0ave enough room for all the equipment?

We use an RO unit under the sink of our stick house and love it.  However, for every gallon of RO water produced, in excess of 10 gallons of waste water goes down the drain and that could be a problem if you're unable to drain your grey tank regularly. 

I did this on my last fifth wheel. I bought the one from lowe's. It worked even on the pump but I mostly had full hookup.
I planned on just taking it out to winterize but traded it before that was necessary.

We have an RO and use it heavily in our TT,  we have our TT on a lot in Yuma and are not moving until the kids have to come and get the TT after we are dead.  Yuma has atrocious water and the RO makes good cooking and drinking water. 

We have a 3 stage filter out side that all our water goes through and the RO is under the sink to a small separate faucet next to the sink. We do not keep our gray water valve shut.  If we did it would back fill the system up into the shower pan quickly.

Our RO  is a 5 Stage model with a 1 gallon storage unit and can make 50 gallons per day but we never come close, maybe 3-4 gallons per day is all we use.  When we go home in the spring, we pull all the filters and buy new when we come back in the fall, we take the membrane over to Zepp's Water Treatment in Yuma and they flush it and store it in a refrigerator for the summer.  We leave all the RO and water system full of water while we are gone We summerize our TT.

BigLarry said:
We use an RO unit under the sink of our stick house and love it.  However, for every gallon of RO water produced, in excess of 10 gallons of waste water goes down the drain and that could be a problem if you're unable to drain your grey tank regularly.

We also have one in our soon to be ex sticks and bricks house and love it.  RO's are made for RV's but as stated here they really are not well suited for RV's, especially if used for boondocking.  An exception might be for an RV used in a full hookup campground where water is more readily available and the ability to dump frequently is possible.  To address our desire for great drinking water we purchased a Berkey filter system and love it.  As an added bonus since we prefer to boondock a lot, water that is obtainable from a stream, river or lake can be run through the Berkey to obtain safe, clear and excellent drinking water.  Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom