HELP A NEWBIE 90's RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paula Deen

I am brand new to the RV world and am SO glad I found this website! My wife and I are in our early 30's and are looking to buy a used class  C (1988-1998 model)  to re-model the interior. We want something with a strong motor/tranny. It is easy enough to tell if a vehicle starts/drives/idles or overheats. My question is what are some of the RED FLAGS we should be looking out for? Father-in-law is a electrician/ builder so we will have professional help. We just want to make sure it is mechanically sound. Looking at spending around 6-8K on the RV and another 8-10K on the renovation. Any advice at all would be fantastic! Thanks a lot!!!!

DONT  that is my first bit of advise.  Old RVs are nothing but money pits.  But if you insist.  Water leaks are probsbly the number one killer of old RVs.  One leak left unfixed can totally desteoy an RVs frame.  Most older RVs are woof framed, so water leaks are extremely important.

HAHAH okay thanks for the advice! I really want a project to work on with my family for a few months.

When you start rebuilding/remodeling an old RV, it's not a project for a few months, it's a project for a few years.

Ignoring the house issues, stay away from carburetor engines.  In the early 1990s the chassis manufacturers moved towards fuel injection, paired with overdrive transmissions and lock up torque converters.  This made significant improvements in drivability and gas mileage compared to the older engines and transmissions.

1996 and newer will have the OBD2 diagnostic port.  This may or may not be important to you, diagnosing a sick engine without access to the error codes it provides is becoming a lost art.  As are mechanics who have even seen a carburetor, let alone knowing how to service or rebuild one.

Duplicate post... please direct future replies to this thread:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,110665

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom