HELP A NEWBIE LEARN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paula Deen

I am brand new to the RV world and am SO glad I found this website! My wife and I are in our early 30's and are looking to buy a used class  C (1988-1998 model)  to re-model the interior. We want something with a strong motor/tranny. It is easy enough to tell if a vehicle starts/drives/idles or overheats. My question is what are some of the RED FLAGS we should be looking out for? Father-in-law is a electrician/ builder so we will have professional help. We just want to make sure it is mechanically sound. Looking at spending around 6-8K on the RV and another 8-10K on the renovation. Any advice at all would be fantastic! Thanks a lot!!!!

I am biased but I like diesel power.  In the time era you mentioned, the only vans offered with a diesel were the Chevrolet and Ford, Ford being the stronger and more popular. It would have the naturally aspirated 7.3 up until 1994 when a turbo was optional, then the electronically controlled "Powerstroke" was released soon after.  It was the best diesel in a van in that era and a strong runner.  In any of the van based RVs, the weak link seems to be the transmission so definitely check that and keep it serviced.

I know you plan to do a major remodel, but I would absolutely avoid anything with water damage or soft spots on the floor or walls (water damage).  That would indicate roof repairs were needed as well  as additional interior work.  You have enough work planned.  Do not add to the list!

I would also look for one with a floor plan close to what you want to reduce the need to do major plumbing relocations.

Keep us informed of your progress!

Get something with fuel injection (throttle body injection OK) but just avoid a carburetor. The year range you mentioned should be all injected, but just make sure of it. The 460 Ford V8 was bad about cracking the exhaust manifolds, and somewhat prone to fuel pump failures.

Personally, I would look for one that had been cared for and needs little to no renovation, possibly just a little modernization and adding of accessories. When people wholesale rip stuff out, they usually discover they are in over their heads attempting to get it back together. Do one thing at a time. New curtains, upholstery, fix broken stuff, update faucets and the like, install LED light fixtures or "bulbs", new 3 stage converter, etc.

I would plan on spending $13K to $15K on the MH and $4K or so in repairs and updates. You will have a much nicer MH when you do.

Charles

I would stay closer to the newer end of your age criteria. The Ford v10's are pretty much bullet proof. Getting a newer unit will get you an overdrive transmission also. Lower rpm's less strain on the motor and somewhat better mpg.

Duplicate post... please direct future replies to this thread:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,110665

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom