HELP A NEWBIE 90's RV Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paula Deen

I am brand new to the RV world and am SO glad I found this website! My wife and I are in our early 30's and are looking to buy a used class  C (1988-1998 model)  to re-model the interior. We want something with a strong motor/tranny. It is easy enough to tell if a vehicle starts/drives/idles or overheats. My question is what are some of the RED FLAGS we should be looking out for? Father-in-law is a electrician/ builder so we will have professional help. We just want to make sure it is mechanically sound. Looking at spending around 6-8K on the RV and another 8-10K on the renovation. Any advice at all would be fantastic! Thanks a lot!!!!

It's all about water leaks when it comes to RV's. If they are sun faded you can see that and get an estimate of what it might cost to repair. If the engine is knocking you can get a price for a rebuild. If it has water damage you usually dont know how extensive it is until you open it up. Water leaks and damage are sometimes had to spot so be very careful. Look for areas that have been painted to cover discoloration. Look closely at ceiling and wall panels for very small pimple looking spots which are indications of wet panels.  Feel very inch of the roof for soft spots especially around roof vents, ladder mounts etc.  Look for soft areas under the slides. I would move up in price range rather than spend 10K more to renovate. I dont know how you would spend that much unless it needed drivetrain repair.

No need to start four identical topics. Perhaps the moderators can combine them so responses aren't scattered about.

Not sure how this site worked. I just wanted best advice from the most knowledgeable source. Thanks for your "help".

Another sign of water damage would be to look down the outside wall, if there are bulges in the wall, that could be water damage. Test every appliance, fridge, stove, hot water heater to make sure they work as they are supposed to. They can be very expensive to repair. Be sure and do a test drive, important. I also agree with the above statement, spend a little more and you may spend less on repairs.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom