Reading Generator Hour Meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

When I gas up I like to record the generator hours as well as odometer readings.

My Onan 5500 Marquis has a start/stop button and hour meter on the dash. The hour meter only displays if the generator is running.

I'm looking for ideas on how to make it display without starting the genny.

Thanks,
Tom

The switch on the inside for mine is a momentary stop/start, with the switch returning to center. If I push the switch toward the stop position when the generator isn't running, it will display the hours on the meter.

kdbgoat said:
The switch on the inside for mine is a momentary stop/start, with the switch returning to center. If I push the switch toward the stop position when the generator isn't running, it will display the hours on the meter.

What genset do you have? Mine doesn't work like that. I was all excited when I read your post but on trial, pushing the stop button does nothing on mine.

Anyone else try that? If so, what were your results.

R

Pretty sure I tried that. But I?ll try again.
Gives me hope that it could work like that maybe with a wiring change.

Same problem but my hour meter is not on the dash.  Instead it is on the power panel mid-coach with the HVAC controls and tank reading gauges.  I can start and stop from cockpit but no meter and when gen is off the hour meter on the power panel is also off.

Bill

All my gensets had mechanical hour meters, so displayed regardless of the genset status or ignition key.  I didn't realize that some were powered displays. Live & learn...

Ours also does not display unless on.  While not a concern for me since we have only turned it on to exercise it, this thread has my curiosity peaked, I will have to see if it displays when depressing the stop switch.

With tail between legs I report that mine does indeed display the hours when the stop button is depressed. Thanks for prompting me to check this again.

My hour meter lives on the lower left of the dash and is hard to read. I almost have to stand on my head to see it. It sure could use a backlight.

Tom

Heli_av8tor said:
With tail between legs I report that mine does indeed display the hours when the stop button is depressed. Thanks for prompting me to check this again.

My hour meter lives on the lower left of the dash and is hard to read. I almost have to stand on my head to see it. It sure could use a backlight.

Tom

I will check mine next time I go over to storage area.  But it makes sense that it would display when pressing stop because that is how you prime the carb prior to starting so power is applied to the system.

Bill

Mine has a separate prime switch inside, right below the stop/start switch.

Back
Top Bottom