Replacing Awning - Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

Getting real close to replacing my old, beat up Carefree awning with a new one. Going to switch to Dometic.

- If I switch to the 9100 electric, how do they seal the holes for the current Carefree (manual)? Just caulk?

- Seen a lot of stories about the electrics not having adjustable slope. But, it seems as if the newer version of the 9100 DOES. Is this correct?

- If I stuck with manual (likely the 9000), I assume it uses the same footprint so no new holes from the Carefree, right?

Right now, sorta leaning toward going electric. A little leery because it's another thing to break, but the convenience seems good. :) Seems like PPL has a good deal on them, and I have a local installer.

I spent extra time looking for a TT that did not have electric awning.  I know you will get mixed reviews, and I guess partly depends on your health, but personally I have not met one person with a newer TT that has electric awning, that likes it.  They fold up with wind, rain, more subject to problems.  I love my Dometic roll up, I love that can remove the side posts and not have to duc under them.  As far as holes, likely you will remove old, seal holes, mount new.  and if you have local installer, it would be a fairly easy install, with whatever you purchase.  Although, electric will require much more, wiring, indoor switch etc.

spencerpj said:
personally I have not met one person with a newer TT that has electric awning, that likes it.  They fold up with wind, rain, more subject to problems.

Let me be the first. Glad to meet you. I have a electric and really like it. I'm in FL right now and it's been extended for over a month now. I have it tied down just like anyone else with a manual awning.  If I didn't have it tied down, I would still roll it up when I leave just the same as having a manual awning. A couple of years ago while here in FL, I just happened to look down the road just in time to see a manual awning get flipped onto the roof because of a strong wind. So it can happen with them also.

Yeah, I know we'd seal holes from the old awning if I switched to electric. I was just wondering if it'd be more than a caulk job because it seems to me having a few caulk spots on the side of the rig would look a bit bad.

Rene T said:
Let me be the first. Glad to meet you. I have a electric and really like it. I'm in FL right now and it's been extended for over a month now. I have it tied down just like anyone else with a manual awning.  If I didn't have it tied down, I would still roll it up when I leave just the same as having a manual awning. A couple of years ago while here in FL, I just happened to look down the road just in time to see a manual awning get flipped onto the roof because of a strong wind. So it can happen with them also.

What model do you have? Is it adjustable in terms of slope?

I just happened to look down the road just in time to see a manual awning get flipped onto the roof because of a strong wind. So it can happen with them also.

Indeed it can. A few years ago, while we were having a pot luck in Palo Duro Canyon (winds were calm), a friend's awning (it was tied down) suddenly flipped up over the top of his trailer. We were only a couple of sites from his (perhaps 100-150 feet), but it happened too quickly for anyone to react -- those gusts were rather sudden.

drisley said:
Yeah, I know we'd seal holes from the old awning if I switched to electric. I was just wondering if it'd be more than a caulk job because it seems to me having a few caulk spots on the side of the rig would look a bit bad.

What model do you have? Is it adjustable in terms of slope?

When water gets on it, one end will collapse allowing the water to run off.
It's a Dometic. 

Are you replacing the awning because the mechanism is broken or is the cloth worn?  If it is just the cloth, it can be replaced.  In our relatively brief experience with electric awnings, they have been wonderful to have and if we were in a situation of having to replace one, would definitely replace with another electric, simply because of the convenience.

My Carefree has fully adjustable arms - it's an Eclipse model I believe.  As I remember, the A&E 9100 came out with a gadget that lets you pull down and lock one arm to pitch down one side for water, but I would call it adjustable arms.

Gizmo said:
Are you replacing the awning because the mechanism is broken or is the cloth worn?  If it is just the cloth, it can be replaced.
Not solely. We experienced a sudden storm few months back in Blairsville that ripped our already worn awning fabric. For the sake of time, my wife sewed it back together. But, the cost to replace that fabric was quite high. But, in addition, the hardware is just falling apart. Both tightening knobs have fallen off, the clips have fallen off. I'm using bungee cord to keep the thing secured when driving. It doesn't run real smooth anymore. I even had a new clip put back on... and it broke again. I think this awning has just seen better days. And surprisingly, I can get a whole new awning for just a few hundred more than replacing only the fabric on this Carefree.

I dunno. I may just do manual (Dometic 9000). Will have same footprint so no weird caulk holes. And it is one less thing to break.

The elimination of the downward-angle support arm severely limits the amount of angle adjustment, so less effective even though many electrics have arm adjustments. The good news is no more head-knocking on that danged manual support arm!

A related reason for many of the complaints you see is that RV's with slides on the patio slide have the awning mounted very high and the slide prevents much angle adjustment anyway. That problem probably doesn't apply to your upgrade, but the presence of slides is a major reason behind awning complaints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom