I'm Looking At This Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oldgator73

My wife surprised me a few months back when she suggested a Class C to travel across the country with the grandkids aged 5 and 7. I've been looking at various models since. I do not want slide outs for several reasons. Everyone eventually has problems with them (we had a triple slide 5th wheel when we fulltimed). I also want a unit that everything is accessible when driving and stopping for the night at somewhere like Walmart or Sam's, etc. I also wanted a dinette and a couch and a walk around queen bed. I think I found it. It's a Gulfstream Conquest:

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/motorhomes/conquestclassc/model/6280

We have had no problems at all with our slides, and we use them quite a bit. We can also access everything on the motorhome with the slides closed. The only obstacle at all with the slides closed is whoever is sleeping on the driver's side can't walk around the bed, they have to crawl in from the foot of the bed.
To me, someone saying they don't want slides because of problems is the same as saying they don't want a furnace, fridge, water heater, or generator because they have as many problems if not more than slides.
I was going to make a comment about the television not in a comfortable spot to watch it on the Conquest you linked, but I remembered that you guys spend 99% of your time outside except for sleeping, so that's not a big deal.

Oldgator73 said:
I do not want slide outs

That's certainly your option (and the fact that non-slide rigs are still available means you're not alone) but I do think you're in the minority. Even if you don't want slides, a significant majority of folks do, and when the time comes to sell your rig I think there are many who wouldn't even look at it without slides, eliminating many if not most of your buyers.

I look at RV's the same way I look at cars and trucks and motorcycles for that matter. I bought a black Harley because a color was an option. I try to buy the unit with the least amount of options. The things you mentioned are not options; fridge, furnace, water heater, etc. I don't really care about a TV but I don't think I could buy a unit w/o one. Besides it keeps the grandkids busy when it rains. As for the slide outs, I could take them or leave them. If I found a unit I really liked and it had slides and they did not impede using any part of the MH when retracted, that includes the bed-I don't want to have to crawl over the wife (although on occasion  there are benefits to that) when I need to get out and the price was right I would consider it.

Sun2Retire said:
That's certainly your option (and the fact that non-slide rigs are still available means you're not alone) but I do think you're in the minority. Even if you don't want slides, a significant majority of folks do, and when the time comes to sell your rig I think there are many who wouldn't even look at it without slides, eliminating many if not most of your buyers.

You might be right about resale. But on the other hand if I buy a non slide out unit and they quit making them, mine might be in high demand. The fact that many folks want something should not influence my decision to purchase the unit I want. If I go to a dealer and tell them I want a unit with no slides and they try to talk me into one with slides because "everyone" wants slides I will go down the road and look. It could be that I will not be able to find a used unit like I want. If that is the case I will have to change my way of thinking and look at units with slides that impede movement the least when retracted.

I think that is a very good layout. Our old Chateau 31N was very similar with the split bath & opposing couch/dinette. We have been taking our 2 oldest G-daughters out in the summer for about 7 yrs now. We didn't travel with a toad back then, so the ease of setting up & breaking camp was great. The most time consuming part of setting up was leveling with blocks, but we got that down to a science too.

I do not want slide outs for several reasons. Everyone eventually has problems with them

It may not change your mind, but I want to make clear that not "everyone" has problems with them (though pretty much everyone has trouble with something on the RV), and they do make for a lot more usable space, even a small slide.

Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B at Smyrna, Coachmen Freelander 27QB at Delmarva in Milford.

kdbgoat said:
Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B at Smyrna, Coachmen Freelander 27QB at Delmarva in Milford.

Thanks for that. I have to go pick up our Drop today so might swing by and take a look. We are about a year from purchasing but doesn't hurt to look now. Who knows, we may find a deal we can't pass up.

Be aware the Freelander is the Coachmen "economy" model in their lineup. :)

well one advantage in that size class C if going "no slides" is likely a bit better weight capacity.  I don't know exactly how much weight a slide adds, but I can say that my class C only slightly larger than that, is really too heavy for the chassis.  Any little bit would help!

That being said, we like the slides.  we often keep our living room slide closed when just stopping for the night, but usually open the bedroom so the bed is walk-around...

You didn't say what you've considered so far; sorry if you've already considered this:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2018/minnie-winnie/floorplans

One of the things we like about our 31K is the fact you can function very comfortably with the slide in (and it only has one slide).  We don't put it out when we overnight on the way to our destination.  The sofa/bed is also great and very comfortable to sleep on.

It is the last three pics from left to right on the top row at this link:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2018/minnie-winnie/interior/lounge

Cons: Shower size is a little small

Are you buying new?

There are not many options without slides these days.  This one meets many of what you described but it has slides: Leprechaun 319DS

We really haven't considered anything yet. We want to go to a few RV shows and sit in a few different floor plans. We are still at least a year away from buying. I do like to buy new but if a really good used one presents itself I could be convinced to buy used. Thanks for the links. I do like the 31 footer.

RVRAC said:
There are not many options without slides these days.  This one meets many of what you described but it has slides: Leprechaun 319DS

It's really nice and the bed is facing the right way. It has some serious counter space. My wife will like that! Thanks.

My last two RVs were a  truck camper with a side, and a Class A with two. My new rig does not have a slide, and I do not miss it at all.

I started RVing before slides, never became important to me. Maybe an Oldgator and an Oldracer have something in common!

Gator, Leprechaun 319DS is what I have. If you get down my way sometime, I'll gladly let you guys take a good look a it.

OLDRACER said:
My last two RVs were a  truck camper with a side, and a Class A with two. My new rig does not have a slide, and I do not miss it at all.

I started RVing before slides, never became important to me. Maybe an Oldgator and an Oldracer have something in common!

Yeah, I just feel like if it's not needed then I don't want it.
kdbgoat said:
Gator, Leprechaun 319DS is what I have. If you get down my way sometime, I'll gladly let you guys take a good look a it.

I might just take you up on that, thanks.

Memtb said:
  Started using an RV with slide-outs in the 60?s.... a pop-up rented for vacations when I was a kid!  ;D

Yeah, we had a tent with a slideout.

Back
Top Bottom