Video TR: Zion National Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DW, the dogs and I headed south the Saturday before Thanksgiving to boondock outside of Zion National Park.

Arriving in Virgin, Utah right at dark, we first scouted Guacamole Mesa via Dalton Wash Road, but finding the last half mile to be steep and rough but nevertheless negotiable, but without cell service, we opted to check out North Creek area but that was pretty much full. In the end, we headed out onto Sheep Bridge Road in total darkness and nevertheless scored a stellar spot. Scouting around the region in the daytime, I would've preferred the place we found at Gooseberry Mesa, but I'll save that for another trip.

Although the scenery was spectacular, to be honest Zion National Park left me wanting. It was simply too crowded to enjoy, even in late November. Available parking was non-existent, and it was tough to even squeeze my pickup down Zion Canyon Scenic Drive. A series of unfortunate situations nixed my hiking plans, too. In the end I decided to push on to Lake Powell to celebrate Thanksgiving on the beach there, instead of fight what would assuredly be thicker crowds once the long holiday weekend arrived.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CeDJtVs0s

First attachment: Our site on Sheep Bridge Road
Second attachment: The site on Gooseberry Mesa

Attachments

• DJI_0022.JPG
    DJI_0022.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171121_101548.jpg
    20171121_101548.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 41
It's certainly sad that the park is so busy but everyone should see if bit they can. I believe there are other hikes away from the busy area, e.g. Wildcat Canyon.

Your video looks fab.

Great video!

We have visited Zion for the last 20 years on a regular basis, and the last time they did not let vehicle traffic into the park. We need to park in a lot outside the gate and take a shuttle into Zion. At first I was a bit apprehensive, but we wanted to do Observation Point before the temperature became to hot. Consequently we entered the park at 6am, hopped on a shuttle to our destination and has the most wonderful experience we've experienced.

Observation Point is a hike that is basically uphill 4 miles, then 4 miles back down, so it is a bit of a challenge for us old folks. However, because of the early hour, we were headed down from the Point while most people were coming up - it was already hot. I would definitely recommend the shuttle.

pz said:
Great video!

Thank you!

pz said:
We have visited Zion for the last 20 years on a regular basis, and the last time they did not let vehicle traffic into the park. We need to park in a lot outside the gate and take a shuttle into Zion. At first I was a bit apprehensive, but we wanted to do Observation Point before the temperature became to hot. Consequently we entered the park at 6am, hopped on a shuttle to our destination and has the most wonderful experience we've experienced.

Observation Point is a hike that is basically uphill 4 miles, then 4 miles back down, so it is a bit of a challenge for us old folks. However, because of the early hour, we were headed down from the Point while most people were coming up - it was already hot. I would definitely recommend the shuttle.

Sounds like you had a better experience than I did. For us the shuttles were not an option as dogs aren't allowed on the shuttles. That's why I planned to go back on the Monday before Thanksgiving to hike Angel's Landing; unfortunately, my wife had to return to Salt Lake City unexpectedly, so I had no one to pawn the dogs off on for the morning.

Even on the Sunday shuttle day, however, people were parked anywhere they possibly could fit their vehicle into. I was shocked and seriously disappointed by the crowding in the park.

Grand Adventure said:
... I was shocked and seriously disappointed by the crowding in the park.
I have to agree - when I first went to the park in the early 90's we could drive in and park literally anywhere with little to no problem. The main reason we had good experience parking in the lot to the shuttles is that we did so by 6am - the lots were jammed full by the time we left at mid-day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom