Traveling around NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brucegledhill

Planning a June trip from SE PA to coastal Maine pulling a 30' TT.  I know to avoid the GW Bridge/ Cross Bronx route on I-95.  How is the I-287 route over the new Tappan Zee Bridge?

Easy peasy. From there, take I-684 to I-84 to the Mass Pike. Avoid I-95 in NY and western Connecticut.

In Connecticut, I-691 to I-91 back to I-84 is a good bypass around Hartford. There is construction on I-84 in Waterbury, so avoid rush hour.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it.  Looks to add a few miles but will lower blood pressure.

You'll also save about 50 bucks in tolls by not going over the GWB.

Not sure where you're coming from, but a favorite route of ours is Route 209 through the Delaware Water Gap, then pick up I-84 at the PA/NY line. It's not fast, but it is a very relaxing ride.

I cross the GWB if I'm in a rush otherwise I would take 287 to 87 to 84E into CT. By the way, crossing the GWB is no different than crossing the Tapp other than a larger toll. You can hit traffic at either. If you take 287 to 684 time it out to avoid rush hour on 84 through Danbury, CT between 11am and 2pm would be best. During this time period you will also avoid the worst traffic in Waterbury & Hartford. We have a home in Danbury, I'm on these roads daily during the summer months.

If you do hit traffic in either city it's best to stay in the left lane to avoid merging traffic from several on-ramps. Exit 2 in Danbury has a very nice recently renovated rest area with overnight parking and a public dump station.

Safe Travels!

Rob

Tolls are collected eastbound (northbound) only. None are collected westbound (southbound).

That's also true of the other bridges spanning the Hudson in that area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom