corner weights on CAT scales - a solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

Since owning my MH, I have wanted to get side weights but have never been able.  Cat scales always have posts with the intercom system too close to the side to pull off. 
At a few different locations, I've asked the weighmaster when going in to pick up my weights at a couple different places, about getting side weights.  They never know a solution, and honestly seemed a bit confused at the question.

So
I discovered that CAT Scales has a smartphone app.  With that app, you can initiate and pay for weights, and get the results by email.  It's even smart enough to know that I had just bought a weight and asked me if the second pass was a re-weigh so it only cost me the $2 for the second pass.
I was able to pull off far enough on the side with my drive axle on the trailer pad and the steer axle on the drive axle pad.

I was surprised and happy to see that my rear axle at least was very well balanced.  Too heavy for the tires (and this without the bikes hanging on the back), but at least it was balanced within 20# of each other
My steer axle was 180# heavier on the curb side.  I'm guessing that's the nearly full water tank that's on that side just a smidgen forward of mid coach.  Surprising though since the passenger seat was empty and both me and the generator sit up front on the light side.

Which can be done with or without a smart phone, right?  I get that the app is convenient, but the initial premise was "I have wanted to get side weights but have never been able".

Sorry - don't mean to be snarky. Just trying to get a better understanding. Some scale layouts make it darn near impossible to get side or corner weights, while others are fairly easy.

valid question I think
I never was able to
because I didn't know that you could weigh with zero weight on the steer pad
because I could never successfully arrange to trigger the measurement from 20 ft away from the intercom
...and the app just makes it so much more convenient too....

Most CAT scales have been redesigned with the scale elevated. You cannot drive off to one side.

I would find a local gravel or pavement company and weight your unit there. Usually plenty of room.

anniemae said:
I would find a local gravel or pavement company and weight your unit there. Usually plenty of room.

That?s what I did. Got corners, axles and whole coach plus axles for toad. Just made sure I moved off the scale as soon as I saw a truck approaching. No charge

Don't overlook grain elevators. We have one that has a drive thru scale that's on 24/7. I use it on their off hours. There's enough room to get one side off the scale.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom